I am a family care provider, and i am on the fence about this question...

is it ok to step in if the child physically throws him or her self down and throws a complete tantrum inside of my home, and the parent does nothing about it? I have three children of my own and i would not accept this behavior from any of them. I have a sheet stating my discipline steps, so the parent is fully aware of them, ( i have a sheet i have the parent's sign). This child i am talking about is almost three and does so wonderfull through out the day, and very rarely do i have to step in and take over. I don't understand why the child does this only when it is time to go home. What bothers me more is that when the parent does not step and try to calm their child down and have them express whats going on, instead they "try" and talk to me over their screaming child. It is ok to step in, since the child is still inside of my home? or just bite my tongue and let the parent handle it? .. I'm slightly venting too =) thankz

sexymamaof2

Asked by sexymamaof2 at 9:35 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The child is having fun that's why they throw a fit. Next time just ask if it's ok for you to step in and maybe help.

Anonymous

• I would say that if the parent isn't doing anything, then it is ok for you to step in since they are still in your house and you care for this child all day long. I can't see that it would be a problem, I bet the child just thinks since mom or dad is there it is time to act up!
    twinsand2

Answer by twinsand2 at 9:40 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Okay, I would step in some, but be cautious. I would definately say something. I understand being hesistant. I watch my step-kids during the day. On the days there mom comes to get them, I have said something when they start to act up or something along those lines. I generally am not as harsh as I would be if they weren't there just because I don't want to over step my boundaries since they are there.

I would be gentle about it, and just start talking to the child. By ignoring the parent and talking to the child, the parent might realize that they need to do something. Also, when the parent starts to try to talk over their screaming child tellt hem to hold on - maybe even walk over the child. If they get upset, explain to them that you do not feel comfortable letting the child behave that way in your home, that it disrupts your home, and is a bad example for your children.

Good luck!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:41 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Is there anything that you can do before the parents arrive to help the transition from daycare to home go better? Winding down the day type of things?
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:49 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• if hes a pretty good kid for you then acting up around time to go home, could this be a sign of something? seems like he may be trying to get some extra attention before being sent home-- i could be totally off by this. but its just a thought that comes to my head :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:58 PM on Mar. 6, 2009