What is your opinion of zero-tolerance policies in public schools?

9 year old gives out a cough drop and is accused of dealing drugs.
http://www.news4jax.com/news/18295358/detail.html

13 year old suspended for a doodle of a gun
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/95563

13 year old girl STRIP searched because school officials heard she may have Ibuprofen
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/01/16/teen.strip.search/

Boy suspended for water gun, another accused of racism for saying "G'day mate"
http://www.thisistrue.com/zt.html

How far are the schools going to go? My 8th grade sister was given detention today for not having a pencil since she lended it to a friend in an earlier class.

AnnaMac

Asked by AnnaMac at 9:41 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Good idea in theory- in reality they are asking for hell. I think you know when it is a serious threat and when it's not. Ibuprofen? Come on... what is that going to do? Going to extreme on this matter isn't going to make things better.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 9:47 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I think they are focusing so hard on controlling the things that dont really matter, to make an example to the ones they have no idea what to do with. It is sad. They need to prioritize a bit more.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 9:52 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Rules are rules and its seems kinda silly!!! But they should read the handbooks. And not try to get away with breaking them! Iam a high school teacher and if a student didnt come prepared with a pencil... they would be sent out and gave a zero. We arent their to babysit! They all know the rules.. if I catch a kid with a cell phone. They can come back and pick it up in June!!
    Anonymous

• Absolute insanity!!!
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I always thought zero tolerance was for when kids are fighting, then everyone in the fight got suspended. Not for doodling or cough drops. That's taking it too far. But once they do something to one kid, they have to punish another.
    How is g'day racist?/??
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 10:10 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• The other extreme has its own issues. My friend was caught at school with drugs. When she was taken into the dean's office, she had a bottle of speed and a joint. They were both sitting on the desk while she got a stern talking to. When the deputy and her parents showed up, there was only a bottle of speed. On the paperwork sent to the sheriff's office and the school board, they only listed a bottle of speed. 3 guesses where the joint went, and it was not back into my friend's purse.

Not saying my friend didn't appreciate having a lessor offense, but lets face it, it's not really fair to have an environment where exceptions are made for some and not others. They need to find a happy medium between fairness and common sense.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:13 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I don't think it is much of a stretch. Drugs (even legal ones) should not be passed around without parental consent. If someone gave my kids Motrin without my consent, I would flip out. We have a history of cancer, and Motrin kills off red blood cells. Fine for someone healthy, but a death sentence for someone with Leukemia. Obviously, strip search for any child is overboard and I would have been pissed. I got detention as a child for eating string cheese in the hallway (food belongs in the cafeteria, not the hallway). Sucked as a kid, but I get it now. Rules are there for a reason and should be followed. Otherwise, why have them?
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 10:37 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• These are kids. I don't think giving someone a cough drop is 'dealing drugs.' There is no age limit on them at the Walgreens. "After examining the ingredients in the drops Khalin had, Channel 4 reporter Diane Cho said the ingredients in the cough drops were near exactly the same as what's in a Lifesafers candy." Oh yeah let's bust the kid for that! Doesn't common sense prevail? What is this rules are rules? If my son sees a kid choking I should tell him to walk on by, because we don't want to get sued??! After all, the "rules" say California's Good Samaritan law only protects people from liability if they are administering emergency aid;" if it isn't *really* an emergency, we can be sued.
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 10:51 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• A 17 year old girl can buy Midol over the counter, and should certainly be able to self-medicate for cramps.  It's ludicrous to lump over-the-counter medicines in with cocaine and meth.

A child with severe ashma should be able to carry their inhalor, which could save their life.  A child wheezing in the playground shouldn't have to wait until the school nurse can be located.

The local school has a "zero tolerance for bullying" rule.  Has it changed anything?  No.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I got in trouble in middle school for taking my own prescribed allergy medicine! They didn't feel I was competent enough to take one pill with my lunch on my own - they wanted me to go to the nurse to get the medicine everyday - yeah my mom said screw that and just told me to be discreet...they are a little extreme - I heard a story YEARS ago about a 5 yr old being suspended because the school had a Zero Tolerance No Gun policy - which sounds good until they extend that to a plastic gun the size of your thumb attached to a GI Joe doll that was brought for show & tell....let's use common sense people!

And oh yeah you bet your sweet a** I'd be calling a lawyer if someone strip searched my child over ibuprofen!!
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:35 PM on Mar. 6, 2009