Were you ever paddled at school, and if so, was it effective?

I grew up in the south, and in the school system I was attending, paddling was allowed. One day I was caught smoking outside during lunch break and was given a referral to the princaipal's office where I was later paddled. While it wasn't the worst thing in the world, it definitely stung, and I never got in trouble again. Even though it worked wonders on me, I have mixed feelings about it still being legal in certain states/areas. Just wondering what others think about this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• yes & no.
    Anonymous

• Yes I was and no it was not effective, lol.

Anonymous

• I got paddles.... was better then my parents being called and getting grounded!!!
    Anonymous

• Yup I was paddled several times, but never for a good reason. Hard to change behavior that wasn't there to begin with.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• The threat of that paddle kept me in line! I can remember how quiet the whole class would get so we could hear the offender getting paddled. There was a teacher that had a paddle with holes drilled in it that supposedly stung like crazy. I never found out, thank goodness! But it seems like there were kids that constantly got paddles and it never changed their attitudes. So I guess it would be different with each individual.
    Nike-2000

Answer by Nike-2000 at 5:13 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Yes and it didn't work at all, i lost all respect for the teacher that did it.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 10:54 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• It is against the law for any school to spank a child and if this is happening to your child I,d see about a law suet.
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 3:24 PM on Mar. 16, 2009