• In the Spotlight:

Spank or Not?

Do you think that kids should be spanked?

I used a step system.

1) i warn you
2) i put you in the nauty mat for the minutes of your age (3 yrs - 3 min)
3) i spank you

my mom always tells me not to spank them, but sometimes i feel like i need to

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• if needed and in that order yes
    Anonymous

• I spank, and I pretty much do the same as you. I have a naughty corner though.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:08 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I would never spank my child. How can we spank but tell them NOT to hit others!! Very confusing. I think it makes your child have low self esteem. Spacking hands is also crazy... WOW are we smarter than our children!!
    Anonymous

• I spank but only for serious offences.
    Anonymous

• I use a system similar to yours. I tell my child that the behavior needs to stop. If it continues, I isolate her from her surroundings and give her time to calm down and tell her if she continues to be disobediant she will get a spanking. Rarely does it ever escalate to where a spanking is warranted. Most of the time, she obeys and calms down once removed from the setting where the behavior took place.
    Anonymous

• we spank. i think your system is great.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:23 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I could never spank my child. I think if it were a life or death situation, I would. I was only spanked once when I was younger. It was because I ran away, it's a good thing I lived in a small town! I think I was trying to go to my mothers work which was all the way in town. We lived about 3 miles outta town. After my father spanked me, he let me cry for a few minutes while he went into the living room while I was in my room. Then he calmly explained to me why he spanked me and asked that I never do that again. I never did, I think it was always out of respect for him and not the fear of being spanked though.
    Anonymous

• YES I DO! I always say that kids act the way they do these days because their asses didnt get beat hard enough when they were younger! LOL no really I spank. My daughter is 10 months and i "spank" her. Now before all you get your panties in a twist...I pat her butt harder when i am putting her to sleep than i do when i "spank" her. She knows that my voice is getting stern and that she get a little jolt when my voice goes up. But its not right away. I do the 1,2,3 thing to. I tell you first, I tell you again and warn if i get to 3 her butt with get smacked, and three i tell again and spank while i am doing it. And i must say at 10 months she normally listens VERY well! So well i get a lot of people tell me they have never seen a baby listen so well before! There is a difference between spanking and beating! i have never and will NEVER beat my daughter!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 10:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Anon 1009 they will know the difference if you TEACH them the difference. You cant just smack them and expect them to know what they did wrong. I dont want to judge but i would bet your kids walk all over you and if they dont now they will. EVERY child that i know that does not get spanked do. I watch a little girl who doesnt get spanked and she hits her mom EVERY day in the face! and I have a friend who has a 5 year old and is just now inforcing the spanking rule and he hit too! Its a phase they go through. And smacking their hands, let me guess you pick everything within their reach up too so when they go to others house the friends are probably talking about you and your child because they touch everything! again, not trying to judge its just every child i know that doesnt get dis. like this is like that! but if you can do it that way good for you, hope your children dont grow up to be like the teens in my area!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 10:37 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• No, I don't think it is a method that should be used on a regular basis. I understand those who feel they need to once in a while to get their child's attention but it really isn't the best idea. If you do that I think the child wins. They got you mad enough to respond to them that way. It doens't teach them anything. Words should always come first. And you should use time outs so you both can cool down. It really is the best way.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 10:46 PM on Mar. 6, 2009