did you or anyone you know get laid off?

my uncle just did... my aunt is a stay at home mom, my older cousin JUST went off to san francisco state (transferred from a jc), my younger cousin is graduating in june and supposed to go to trade school... its sad i feel so bad!!!

aliciatron

Asked by aliciatron at 10:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• I was laid off in April last year and then in November. My husband was laid off in October 2007. I'm still not working, and dh has his own business now. We don't want to work for other people anymore, it's too stressful wondering how long our job will last. My dad almost got laid off last fall, but his job was saved fortunately. He's retiring next year anyway. My brother was laid off around the same time I was in Oct or Nov.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• My husband get's laid off every winter because of extreme weather. It's tough but we make it and just hope he gets back to work before unemployment runs out. That's what happens to all the laborers out here.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:12 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• my bf is laid off, my bil's mom is laid off, i am a stay at home mom. i am working part time, and getting ready to go back to school this summer. so woo....its fun times.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:12 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I just got fired for the dumbest thing in the world.. sucks cuz i was a hard worker .. I went to work everyday on time and never got into trouble.. When i was pregnant I even worked six days a week and over time if they needed me, Now I have no job, a 7 month old baby, my car broke down and cant make it to school.. I had a bad 2 weeks, hope things get better for me.
    MissChunkyLuv

Answer by MissChunkyLuv at 10:18 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Aww MissChunkyLuv I am giving you a hug, it sounds like you need one!
    I live in Texas and the layoffs have all been at the airport, and a couple of newspapers have laid some employees off and reduced salaries, also some of the school districts around here are laying off teachers, I don't know anyone in those professions, so no one I know has been laid off yet (knocking on wood).
    ednakrabapple

Answer by ednakrabapple at 10:53 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Pretty much every family we know has one or both spouses laid off. About the only relatives we have with job security are the kids working fast food after school, but some of them might be in trouble since they've been there since they were 15 and are making more than a newbie right now.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:53 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Too many of my friends, I'm afraid. The broadcast business is a scary place to be these days.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:39 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• my mom just got laid off
    jenniek510

Answer by jenniek510 at 1:43 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I JUST GOT LAID OFF FROM VERIZON BUT I AM RECEIVING UNEMPLOYMENT SO THAT HELPS OUT ON THE HOUSEHOLD BILLS....
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 12:07 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• My aunt, my uncle, my mom, my dad (they are not together), my neighbor, the father of a girl I taught 11 years ago (they are losing their house too), and we'll see about me this summer. Every day, or so it seems, there is a new person who I hear about, on some level.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 12:31 PM on Mar. 7, 2009