Why do anorexic/bulimics get pity and support and fat people get ridiculed?

They're both diseases, just on opposite ends of the spectrum. So why is one recognized and respected and the other not?

ta2dirishlass

Asked by ta2dirishlass at 10:11 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Health

• Obesity, anorexia, and bulimia are all eating disorders and they are all addictions. Obese people are addicted to food and eating for their problems and anorexics and bulimics are addicted to not eating and trying to loose weight. They are all mental disorders of some sort. The food or lack of food are their "drugs" of choice instead of alcohol or drugs. It's just like compulsive gambling is an addiction or shoplifting, etc. There is an underlying problem in the brain for all of these people.

brwneyedgirl314

Answer by brwneyedgirl314 at 11:10 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• They get ridiculed, most people think anorexic/bulimics are just vain people.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 10:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• People die from it.
    Farrahann

• I think anorexia and bulimia are more dagerous and are more of a mental disease than someone who enjoys food and doesn't like to exercise.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 10:17 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• they both get ridiculed. and people think that people who are fat have more control over their situation.

people think that people can choose to eat better and/or exercise. and that anorexic/bulimics are actually mentally ill.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I do think fat people have an eating disorder...I just don't think its as damaging or as self sabotaging as anorexia. Anerexics/bulimics have serious mental issues.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 10:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• well put brwneyedgirl1314
    They are all eating disorders and can all be potentially fatal. Unfortunetly our society has no room for someone who's physical appearence isn't that of the barbies on t.v. For some reason you are more acceptable if you are thin, even if you are mentally unstable.
    fallenruby

Answer by fallenruby at 12:59 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• For some reason you are more acceptable if you are thin, even if you are mentally unstable.
    fallenruby - that is SO true!
    My guess besides all the very true answers above, is that being thin is more 'pleasing' on the eye for people. weight never bothered me when it comes to looking at people. for years i have said that i would rather see overweight people on tv than those ugly skinny teenagers who cannot act to begin with~!
    zombie_mommy

Answer by zombie_mommy at 1:34 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I'm just saying if I had a choice I'd rather be fat than anorexic. It will take a lot of therapy to fix anorexia.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:13 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Why? Because some people are jerks. But they all do get ridiculed...maybe in different ways. Our country is so backwards that there really isn't an answer to that question other than people are just uneducated. And when it comes to heartless, self centered, uneducated people, I don't care about their opinions or input on any subject..
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 3:29 AM on Mar. 7, 2009