My thirteen year-old daughter sat at the bar with me. Does this raise eyebrows or not a big deal?

I took my daughter out to eat at Outback and there was approximately a 30 min wait for tables, but there was bar service immediately available, so I asked her how she felt about that, and she was ok with it. Granted, everyone around us was having an alcoholic beverage, but we ordered the same menu items we would have if a table had been open. I kinda felt like people were looking at us funny for sitting up there. Am I reading too much into this, or would waiting for a table have been the more "proper" thing to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• in this state it is illegal. you have to be 21 to be in the bar.

i went into bars at restaurants when i was 18 sometimes before (i think the law was different then....), but that was only to dine at the tables in the bar.

waiting for a table would be the proper thing to do in my opinion. people go to a bar to be away from kids and a 13 yr. old is still a kid.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:30 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I wouldnt do it.
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 10:33 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I think it is alright to be at a resturant and waiting for a tabel! We do it too with our 3 kids! We do not take them to a place that is only a bar. I think you are just fine!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 10:33 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• that isnt even legal here.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:45 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• it's not legal here either. I wouldn't do if even if it were.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:58 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Yeah, it's not legal here either, not to mention even though it's a restaraunt, it's not really an appropriate place for a child to be. A bar is where people sit and consume alcohol, a 13 does not belong there. I have four kids and I have waited longer for a table because of it. It's just part of having kids and what you prepare to deal with when going out to eat.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:59 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I have done that a few times, there is no sense in waiting 30+ minutes if there is room at the bar in a restaurant it's the same as eating at a counter in a diner as far as I am concerned. As far as people sitting there drinking alcohol, well they are at the tables and booths too.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:05 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Yeah, but a bar is a place where they specifically are there to consume alcohol, and you are taking a chance that your child is gonna see some really drunk guy being really innapropriate or something like that. I guess if you are okay with that. Also, as a courtesy to others, when me and my husband go out to a bar, it's to be around other adults, not children. It's a grown up place where adults socialize. But is it okay for someone to have a couple drinks at the local playground where kids hang out? Everyone would look at you like you didn't belong there, because it's not an appropriate place to drink. Oh Yeah, Diners serve ice cream and milkshakes, not jack daniels and yager bombs.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:20 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I don't see a problem with it morally. The only reason I knew it was illegal in California was because at our family reunion my cousin had a pre party at a bar he frequents and it was nothing but family and the kids were playing pool, drinking soda and eating appetizers and when they would try to approach the bar to get more soda the bartender was like Whoa! That's when a lightbulb went on over my head lol! If they let you sit there then it most likely isn't a law in your state.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:08 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I'd hate to see how people react in a rural setting where kids and bars are quite common. I live in an area where the bars stays open till the wee hours and parents and teens are having fun....I don't agree with it, it is just what rural people do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Mar. 7, 2009