How can I get my 12 mo old to eat anything but stage 2 food?

I'm a first time mom who needs help! My son loves stage 2 foods. He'll eat any flavor. But he hates stage 3 foods, he makes a gag sound and refuses to eat. He won't eat any kind of finger foods. He plays w/ it and throws it on the floor. When we try to feed it to him he turns his head or starts crying. I've tried giving him fruit mashed up, won't touch it. Also, we're having problems switching over to whole milk. I've tried mixing it w/ formula but he won't drink. HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He's not ready yet. That's okay. He'll get there. My son was the same way, but now there's no stopping him at meal time. He eats just about anything. Just keep offering a variety of new foods and textures, but don't make an issue of it if he rejects it over and over. He'll take to it when he's ready. As for the milk, keep offering that, too. It can take a few weeks for a kid to develop a liking for something new. You might try warming it, or flavoring it just a bit, just to get him to try it. Or you might water it down.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 10:37 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• My son is 21 months and eats stage 3 and some 2's also. Just as long as he eats is what important. The doctor said this is fine.....I also still warm his milk. He is slowly liking table foods.
    haveahappyday

Answer by haveahappyday at 11:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Just keep offering, but don't make it a big deal. You an try flavored cow's milk, sometimes that works. Offer him finger foods from your plate. Kids love eating everyone else's food for some reason. Sometimes my youngest will refuse everything in the highchair, but as soon as he's down and Mommy is eating he'll eat my whole plate without a second thought!

http://www.babysignsprogram.com/withelizabeth/

Helping Babies Communicate With Parents And Caregivers Before They Can Talk.

cuddlemonkeez

Answer by cuddlemonkeez at 11:32 AM on Mar. 7, 2009