Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you know on what website I can find lawyers that don't charge until we win the case?

because I saw one today but he wants to charge me 8,500 just to hire him before the case, I think thats a rip off, its so we can file a lawsuit on the bank and my mil. How much do you think we can get out of it?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

Answers (6)
  • If it is a criminal case against your MIL (is this the one where she got the loan in your husband's name?) you don't need a lawyer. The state Prosecuting Attorney will do it for free. If you are doing a civil suit you may not find one who works on a contingency fee. Those are usually personal injury attorneys. Since it's against a bank (federally funded) and she worked there, right? You might be able to go to the FBI and see if any federal laws were committed and have a Federal Prosecutor look into it. Also, try the free law site and ask an attorney for suggestions, (that is 2 v's not a w).

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:53 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

  • p.s. Each state has Identity Theft laws. Look up your state statutes online regarding those or check the State Attorney General's webpage and see if they have a link. (or email him/her and ask)

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:55 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

  • thanks for your answer:) whats civil because this manager from the bank sent my husband this:
    Okay, here is my review of this. I have interviewed everybody I could find from the old Laredo National, that has any knowledge of the matter. I have talked to the Police, prosecutor, your parents, and you. First, the address on the loans and the history of correspondence sent from the bank lead me to believe that you have had some prior knowledge of these loans, and not just "discovered" them recently. This is supported by statements of the lender, his staff, and your parents. Something has changed between you and your parents more recently, that has made these loan balances more objectionable. The Criminal authorities are not pursuing the matter. The District Attorney has reviewed the matter as presented and researched by the Detective and they have declined to take any action. This is because they

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

  • continued
    It is not unheard of, but it is not the norm, that a bank would make three separate personal loans to one individual that would run concurrent. For the old Laredo National, it may not have been so unusual. Also, to support your position, it is obvious that all the payments have been made in cash, or by your parents. As well, it has been stated by your mother that she intends to continue to make payments on the loans, and not let them default........although that, of course, could change any day. For all of the above, I don't find any reason to act on these loans either, on behalf of BBVA Compass. If you should decide to pursue it further, you can file suit against your parents, and/or Laredo National. I will maintain a fiie on the matter, with all the research, and make it available if you should pursue it further with counsel. I would still recommend some sort of agreement with your mother/father, that would end.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

  • oh I left this out, he also wrote this:
    This is because they consider it a "civil" matter among family members. They have no evidence to prove out a criminal charge of forgery, significant time has gone by since the inception of the loans, and they are current.

    what does this mean, does it mean just because we're family they can't really help?

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

  • whats civil because this manager from the bank sent my husband this:

    Civil means you're suing and there are no criminal charges involved. They're saying that you originally consented to the loans and have changed your mind. That may not be the truth, but there's not enough for the District Attorney to successfully prosecute a case.

    It may be difficult to get a lawyer to take this on contingency. Call your local bar association.

    Answer by gdiamante at 12:33 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.