Temperature Question. Please help me

We have a digital thermometer. But my 15 month old DD will not sit still for me to take her temp in her mouth. Can I take it under her arm? If so, is that an accurate reading? I think I remember reading that you are supposed to add (or maybe it was subtract) a degree? Or something like that? Help please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Add a degree when you take it under her arm. You can also take it rectally, and subtract a degree.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 10:46 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I wonder how goodl those thermometers that I heard advertised on the radio are- supposedly you swipe them across the child's forehead?

Answer by Bmat at 10:49 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• How am I supposed to take it rectally? I mean, what can I put on it so that it goes in smoothly?
    Anonymous

• Just a dab of diaper cream, vaseline, or unscented lotion will do the trick.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 10:51 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Thank you very much!!!!!
    Anonymous

• If under the armpit, you are supposed to add 9/10ths of a degree......in other words: if it's reading 101.5 her actual temp is 102.4. Same with rectal...subtract 9/10ths. Hope she feels better soon!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I would do rectal they are the most accurate.
    Learn whats a normal reading for each method and don't add or subtract... because if you call into the doctor they want to know the REAL temp
    So a rectal temp should be 98's-99's... a 100 would be very low grade... no big deal.. and 101 would be a fever
    Axillary (arm pit temp) will be aroung 96-98's... 99 would be very low grade... 100 would be a fever
    When she is older like 3 or so... if she will do it in her mouth, 97-98 would be normal... 99 would be low grade and 100.5 would be a fever

If you find an ear thermometer... they tend to run higher... more like a rectal temp
    A temporal one that runs across the forehead is about the same as an oral one... BUT if they are sweaty aren't very accurate

A good way to know if you SHOULD take a temp... put your lips on your child's forehead. If her head feels warm take her temp... if it feels the same or cooler, no fever
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:31 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I always do under the arm, its just as valid as any other. I would NOT do rectal, even mamy drs. don't do that any more b/c its really not any more accurate and sometimes things can and have gone wrong. AND, if they won'd deal with mouth how do you think they'd deal rectally.
    IMO, that's an exit not entrance unless its an emergency.
    UNDERARM is much less invasive not to mention less traumatic.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:50 AM on Mar. 8, 2009