How can I get my newborn to sleep alone?

First off I am breast feeding my daughter exclusively, no bottles. I have tried giving her binkis and bottles but she refuses to take them. The only way I can get her to bed is with me, she likes to pacify on my boob, which is pretty painful after awhile. she is 2 months and I think she needs to be in her own crib, I can't even be romantic with my husband cause she is right there lol any ideas? As of right now im letting her cry herself to sleep which isn't working :( I am also getting my wisdom teeth out so I want her to take a bottle so I don't give her my drugged up milk any ideas on how to get her to take a bottle or binki? Thanks for the help :)

butterflymom112

Asked by butterflymom112 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• first of all, they have bottles that are like mother's breast...don't know how accurate that is, but the do....and secondly, with my dd, she slept with me and hubby for a while too.....i had to put her car seat head rest thing in her crib and put her in that, and also put rolled up fleece blankets at her sides, to give her that feeling that something/someone was there....keep in mind she didn't roll over at all...maybe try a co-sleeper or a bassinet or pack and play, and then start transitioning her to her crib...it'll be rough the first few nights to a week, but your little one will get used to it.

Good luck!! Hope this helped!
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 11:18 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• i was having the same problem after i stopped swaddling my baby b/c i thought she was getting too active. now i swaddle my baby tightly in a receiving blanket- the tighter, the better and she sleeps through the night. although that's with a pacifier. i'm not sure how you get a baby to take one thats not interested-- sugar water on the tip?
    MommyJal

Answer by MommyJal at 12:12 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Do NOT let a baby cry herself to sleep, especially so young. It's harmful and ineffective. Breastfeeding after medication is safe. Much safer than formula. Just let the baby sleep with you. It makes total biological sense. There are products to keep the baby close but not actually one the bed so you're there when she needs you but she's not close enough to interfere with your romance. Fake nipples are unnatural and made of nasty material that I wouldn't want to suck on. She's got the good stuff and she wants to keep it. Go with the flow. Feed her when she wants and comfort her when she needs you. A newborn isn't meant to be separated from its mother.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• it's still too early, frankly, to expect her to sleep long on her own. You can get her into her own crib tonight...but don't expect her to stay there. Even cry it out advocates say to wait till six months at the EARLIEST.

Most sleep methods are for six months or older.

Romantic with hubby? Really? You have the energy? **grin**

For the wisdom teeth...your milk will be completely safe the moment you're conscious. No need to worry about a bottle.

Check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" for some ideas on how to start transitioning her..but be patient. It will take time...and you may find it's better to just keep her with you for a while. (You'll decide this during the three month growth spurt when you're going to get her to nurse every 20 minutes again and telling your husband that he can have romance next year...maybe...**grin** It happens to us all!)

Answer by gdiamante at 12:21 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• You shouldnt let a baby cry it out at this age. Responding to a child crying will teach them that they can trust you. I only bottle fed so I dont have any advice on that. But maybe try getting her to sleep and then gentally placing her in her crib. Or you could try one of those womb bears with the heart beat perhaps that wil help her think your still near.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 1:00 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• 2 months is still so early for her to CIO. I coslept with all 3 of my children (a set of twins and a daughter) and I was able to transition them to their cribs. So, I would give it more time, she's still so young.

As far as your wisdom teeth and breastfeeding. Your milk will be fine
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/dentalwork.html
    MamaCeleste0722

Answer by MamaCeleste0722 at 10:16 PM on Mar. 8, 2009