Just a question?

when can i actually start feeding her baby cereals??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 4 or 5 months, although some wait a lot longer for good reasons.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 10:59 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I think it's when she can hold her head up on her own. If you look at the back of the Gerber cereal box it will tell you.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 11:01 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• dr told me to start at 4 months
    masonsmommy921

Answer by masonsmommy921 at 11:02 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• My pediatrician told me they usually start at 4 months old... However I started at 3 1/2 mo... My son had heart surgery at 3 months so before the surgery we had to keep his weight down (long story) so after the surgery the durgeon told me I could mix cereal and feed him to help him gain weight. But a lot of my friends said they started at 3 months also... I think it all depends on your child and also how thick you make it... I nursed my son but before he went to bed I'd pump a bottle and add cereal just enough to make it have some texture and it helped him sleep through the night.
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 11:04 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I started my DS on it about 3 1\2 months also. Due to weight issues. He had some tummy problems that required surgery so he lost a lot of weight and to get him back to were he needed to be I got to start him on it early. I would wait til at least 4 months thats what the cereal box's will tell you to.
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 11:20 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• If formula fed, four months. If breastfed, six months.

Be aware that cereal can make weight problems worse...it's not aas caloric as formula or breastmilk and can cause intestinal problems if introduced too early.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:27 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I have heard of many people putting a little in a bottle before bedtime but the doctors say not too. Other than that actually feeding it to them I was told at four months.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 1:02 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• If you are breastfeeding, NEVER. The iron fortification actually inhibits the babies body from absorbing the iron in breast milk.

If you are bottle feeding, the new recommendation from the AAP is not to start any solids before 6-8 months. He should be able to sit unassisted, mastered the grasper pinch, and lost the tongue thrust reflux before starting solids.

Starting solids before the childs gut has matured can cause digestive problems for the childs entire life.
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 4:54 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• "If you are breastfeeding, NEVER. The iron fortification actually inhibits the babies body from absorbing the iron in breast milk." THAT'S TOTAL BS!

AAP recommends 4-6 months (NOT 6-8 months!) it says so right here:

http://www.aap.org/publiced/BR_Solids.htm

I started 4 months and my little girl is such a good eater!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• You can introduce cereal/solids when :

-Baby can sit up.
    -Baby does not automatically push solids out of her mouth with her tongue (tongue-thrust reflex).
    -Baby shows readiness to eat/chew.
    -Baby opens mouth when spoon approaches, closes lips over spoon.
    -Baby has the ability to pick up food and put it in her mouth.
    -Baby drools when hungry.
    -Baby seems 'extra hungry' for more than a couple of weeks.
    -Your baby can control upper body movements and pull forward when food is wanted or move back when full.
    - Baby is able to swallow and digest solid foods.
    - Baby is at least 4-6mos. old (preferably closer to 6mos., especially for breastfed babies).
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 10:18 AM on Mar. 7, 2009