How do you stop your 8 yr old from bossing you around? Any advice welcome.

My 8 yr old is so bossy to me. He tells me what to do. I will tell him to stop. That he is not supposed to boss me. He will not listen to me at all. And he is getting so nosey. He ask who i am talking to on the phone, he has to know what i'm doing on my computer, he has to know what i write down, and he thinks he knows everything. He acts like a know it all. I know he is probly just curious. But enough is enough. Any advice is welcome.

cw289

Asked by cw289 at 11:04 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You get super nanny on his happy lil but i actually want to meet her i love jo if my daughter ever gets that way im calling super nanny oh yes lol
    AliciasMommy

Answer by AliciasMommy at 11:51 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Walk away, get a good cd player, Ipod what ever and turn it on. My dd tried being that way towards me and I did that she knows When I reach for my beloved Ipod she is not getting the attention she wants. That and for awhile when she would do anything I would ask what are you doing? why? who are you talking to? She said I do not like it when you do that. Well we talked about how I do not like it either. keep that i mind next you decide to be overly bossy and nosey. When she gives me an attitude i give her one right back, she stops the attitude real quick. A lot of people think my parenting style is a bit different but it works for us.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 8:06 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Alot depends on why he's so bossy. I've always tried to get to the why and generally you get to the solution. Maybe he's a control freak, he might want extra attention or he could be getting abit bratty. Only you can tell. Take a moment and get inside his head and you both will be happy. This has worked well for me. :)
    CosmicMomma

Answer by CosmicMomma at 10:44 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I tell my children (5&6) that "You NEVER treat your mother like that". Also helps if when they ask nicely and don't boss that I say "Now, that's how to treat your Mom"... But DH is currently at school and is usually here to back me up and say "Hey, I don't want to hear you treat your mother like that again", but a friend and I have found that we can back each other up by doing the same thing when we're together with the kiddos. And we're always telling each other's kids "Remember, be good to Mom today" or "If you're good to Mommy, Mommy will be good to you" or "Remember, you've got a very cool Mom!". Seems to work for us.
    beckwife

Answer by beckwife at 1:40 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• when he asks who you are on the phone with tell him it is none of his business and not to worry about it. do not listen to him when he tells you what to do. explain to him that he is not acting respectfully and that everything you do is not for him to know about. when he keeps going, just tell him that is enough and to go play. my 8 yr. step daughter is all up in my business as well. she thinks everytime i am sending an e-mail or texting or on the phone that she needs to know who it is too. she thinks its her mom. a lot of time it is, but she doesnt need to know what i am doing at all times.

its an on going struggle. tell him that people do not like it when people act like they know everything. i would definately put a stop to the telling you what to do. do not do whatever he is telling you to. punish him when he talks to you that way. send him to his room or something....whatever is your norm for punishement.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I send her to her room to sit on her bed until she remembers how to speak to adults. I don't entertain it at all.

It didn't go on much after the first couple of times of doing that. I do give her a warning "EXCUSE ME?" and then usually she says sorry right away now.

He's asserting his independance, which is fine and healthy, but must be done in a constructive manner. That's not it. He's not your friend, he's your kid, and you have to teach him how to live in the adult world. good luck ;D
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I know how you feel,my 7 almost 8 year old does me and my husband[his father], he is sassy and wants to know everything that we talk about,answers phone when told not to do it,he,s on the couch watching t.v and wants us to bring him what he wants.
    I was raised in the 70,s and good hard disipline didnt kill me but unfortunatly we are not allowed to dicipline our kids so they act this way because basicly they know they can, yes our kids are out of control and yes what do we do. I just keep on to my son to do for himself and when he includes himself at adult conversations I tell him to leave the room and go play and of course he gets mad but you just have to keep on him and maybe take away privlidges and do some time-outs,you are the boss and the parent and he needs to learn respect! Good Luck!
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 2:12 AM on Mar. 14, 2009