Severly overweight people and air travel....

How do you feel about this? If you were on a full flight that was four hours long and seated next to someone who did not fit in their seat and overlapped into yours forcing you out of your seat, do you think they should pay for the extra seat. You paid for a whole seat, should you pay half because that's all you got the entire flight? I'm not bashing overweight people, I'm not exactly petite myself, but I fit in my seat. This happened to me and my baby. We were forced out into the aisle and I had a purple mark in my side from the left armrest(it didn't go up)being forced into my side, it lasted 2 weeks! My baby was hit by people passing by, a drink cart, and carry on. The attendants did nothing, a passenger even got concerned and said something. Turns out we were in aisle seats, infants can't get oxygen masks in those seats. Told me to be sensetive to overweight people!! Wow...

Steff107

Asked by Steff107 at 11:08 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• This is one of those things where fear of offending and lawsuits and politically correct BS has taken the rights of the "normal people" who companies don't have to worry about offending. Like you said you paid for your whole seat and were not able to use it because someone else was.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Do you ever watch that show Airline? They had on there once a woman at the ticket counter who was a little heavy and they made her pay for two seats because of her weight and she made a big stink about it, then right after that in a very good programming move they had a woman who had to sit next to someone who was overweight and was squished in the seat, so they gave her, her money back. I guess either way the airline isn't making any money.
    ednakrabapple

Answer by ednakrabapple at 11:15 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• i would have been heated!! they would have heard my mouth!!

yes if they are taking up more then their seat, they should have to pay for another.... you paid for your seat, why are you being forced out of yours?? and you had a baby... i would have been livid...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 11:17 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I agree with you. You should get what you pay for. You paid for a whole seat and had to spend your time struggling to fit into half of that seat. I cannot understand why some one who does take up more than one seating area would NOT want the extra room of two seats. I know it is expensive to buy two, but I would rather shell out the cash than have someone basically sitting on my lap.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 11:18 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I feel bad for some overweight people. I went on a ride on vacation as a teen and this one lady got kicked off because she was too heavy. I do think that it is only fair to buy two seats, or at least one seat half price. I wouldn't want someone practically sitting on my lap but that's me.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 11:21 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Oh, I would have been pissed and would have said something to the fatty next to me. She can buy two seats because they sell space, not necessarily 1 seat=1 person. I would have demanded that one of us were moved.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Yeah, I contacted the airline and they said I needed to be more sensetive to the needs of overweight people, they also said if I didn't like it I could move to another seat, there were none. So I forwarded their written response to everyone I knew to show how ludacris it was. I let the airline know what I did and they gave me a $100 voucher, I don't even want it....I'm so pissed, I'll never fly with them again.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:26 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I just saw this on an episode of Airline today on the bio channel and a lady demanded something in return for her discomfort...they gave her a $100 travel voucher.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 11:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• the overweight person and the airline should of been more sensitive to your baby. i would of raised holly hell
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 11:47 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Actually the overweight person (depending on size) has to pay for 2 seats. Then they resell the seat beside them. Double profit, and uncomfortable for all. Happened to my late hubby when he went to Canada. He bought 2 seats then the sold the seat to someone else. He was peeved!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:05 AM on Mar. 7, 2009