how do you make your own organic formula?

Any one know of any recipes to make my own baby formula. Don't trust the store brands...

fallenruby

Asked by fallenruby at 11:18 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Check out Green Organic Natural Simple Living here on CM!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/18883

They have multiple formula recipes, in fact someone was just posting them the other day.

aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 11:21 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• If you don't trust formula, you could always try breastfeeding!
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Easy. You just have to get pregnant and your body makes the most natural milk for you =) There's no safe/natural formula. Breastfeeding is the only "green" option.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Honestly, don't try this at home. It's one of those things that is too easy to mess up and infant systems are a bit too delicate.

If you want to use formula, then check out the organic formulas at your healthfood store. Or try breastfeeding.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:16 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Of course i will breast feed, unfortunetly nature did not equip my body with the tools necessary to feed my baby as much as needed. Other options are mandatory, not just for convienence. I hear goats milk is the easiest for baby to digest. Any disputes on this?
    fallenruby

Answer by fallenruby at 12:34 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Goat's milk is NOT suitable for newborns. If you can't bf yourself, how about donor milk? If that doesn't work, your best bet is store formula as what you make at home may not be suitable for your child. Yes, this is coming from a lactivist!
    Gilagirl

Answer by Gilagirl at 2:54 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Do more research before you make formula at home. It's just too risky. Your baby's brain development (not too mention the many other organ systems that are maturing) depends on YOU making a wise decision. You wouldn't design your own car seat, right?
    I am very in favor of breastfeeding-I'm only saying this so you see where I'm coming from- but baby formula produced in the US is generally safe for babies and is the best substitue for BM.

I don't know your specific situation, but if you are still producing some breastmilk, there are usually ways to increase your supply. La Leche League provides free info, support, advice, visits, etc. to moms. www.llli.org is the main website, it contains contact info for leaders across the country and globe.
    justineb

Answer by justineb at 6:16 AM on Mar. 7, 2009