mommy trouble

i am 19 and have a 15 week old baby girl, i recently moved in with my mother because i was living in an apartment with the babies father but he walked out and i couldnt afford the 3 bdrm on my own, now my mother is trying to take over with my daughter, she gives her cereal in a bottle and even started giving her baby food added into a bottle of formula. I have asked her several times not to do it, but she still does, she says she raised 5 kids and knows what to do. My daughter seems to be doing fine with it, but i am worried about her....im trying to save money for my own apartment, but im only working part time and dont know what to do in the mean time, any ideas???

Hailees_Mommy08

Asked by Hailees_Mommy08 at 11:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You know i have had this problem when my daughter was about a month old my mil gave her a finger full of whipped cream i asked her time and time again not to do these things finally one day she tried to tell me what i could and couldn't do with her i just went off theres a point when you have to draw the line and if you feel that she is crossing it you need to lay down the law her house or not it is still your child not hers
    AliciasMommy

Answer by AliciasMommy at 11:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• thank you so much for your response, i tried that once tho and the next day she called my obgyn and told her i waving "issues" my doc tried putting me on med for ppd. my mother is very set in her ways, nothing seems to be working....i am completely stumped!!!!
    Hailees_Mommy08

Answer by Hailees_Mommy08 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• We live w my parents also and at it got to where we had to decide what to argue about and what not to... i put my mom in charge of certain things... I do diapers and feeding and 'mommy stuff' but I make it a point to ask my mom a lot of questions or her opinion... Even if it's something pointless... I think that bc she is the mom and i am her daughter raising a child she still feels the need to 'protect' my decisions and 'help' so ask your mom for help with certain things and it will help control what she does... If you give her duties like "hey mom I can't get the baby to calm down" she will feel like a hero to take the baby and try to soothe while you get a break. And as your baby gets older it really does get easier. You may want to let your mom know you appriciate the help but you will never learn if she does it all and you know she is a good mom and are happy to have her guidance but to give you a chance too
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 11:58 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• thaks you very much, i will definately give that a try!
    Hailees_Mommy08

Answer by Hailees_Mommy08 at 12:01 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• keep standing your ground! Find research to validate why you do not want your child fed cereal. Research has been done since she was a mom. Find other ways that she can be helpful to make her feel important - that's a great idea!
    Trinjo

Answer by Trinjo at 12:36 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I know its hard because it is your mom. But you should make it clear that yes she raised 5 kids and yes you all turned out fine, but this is your child and you want to raise it yourself. That you greatly apperieate her help but there are some things your just not comfortable with and let her know what they are and what she can do to help. It might hurt her feelings, but its something you should do. More research has been done since her kids were young and babies arent suposed to have food that early because of alergies and such. Good luck hun.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:56 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• my mother has tried telling me how to raise my dd also,like said she was teething and told me i needed to get her teething cookies(with they say 10months and up and even then babies have choked on them)she said so she gave them to all of us and it would be fine. however with me my mother know i speak my mind,i told her no shes my baby and i will not give her something i dont agree with.anytime she tried to do or say something like that i always speak up! i say u should sit down and have a talk with her and tell her how u feel and that this is ur baby and if she doesnt want to feed it the way u say then dont let her feed the baby
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Can you take your mom with you to your child's next pediatrician appointment, so the doctor can tell her what is OK and what is not OK?
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 1:29 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I did that about a week ago and she even told the doctor that she knew what she was doing??? SHES NUTS!!!!!!
    Hailees_Mommy08

Answer by Hailees_Mommy08 at 2:22 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• You need to let your mother know-- although she's YOUR mother, that's YOUR daughter, and she has no right to do that stuff without YOUR permission. Go ahead and let it be known.. This is when you say "yes, that would be MINE! not yours" Haha, this is the exception for sharing :)
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 2:05 PM on Mar. 7, 2009