all right, my liberal friends, I have a question for you. . .

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/mar/03/bridge-to-nowhere-okd-for-everglades/

Actually, I 'd like an explanation as to why this was left in bill written last year, that supposedly was to be gone over line by line. (By the way, the bill was written 9 months before a federal judge ruled in favor of the tribe.)

I really thought we were done screwing over the American Indians.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 11:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "The project has been studied and delayed over and over again for 20 years. Meantime, one of the world's great treasures continues to die," said Dan McLaughlin, a spokesman for Sen. Bill Nelson, Florida Democrat. "The National Academy of Sciences, in a report to Congress, says the bridge is needed to allow water north of the road to flow south into the Everglades. Senator Nelson supports it. It's absolutely essential to restoring the 'Glades. No bridge - no water flow. No water - no Everglades."

Heather, looks like at least on Democrat support the "bridge" (Nelson)and perhaps one Republican opposes it (at least per the newsmax article posted above).  If Democrats want it, most likely~they shall prevail.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:01 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• since when is the americian government truely "done" screwing over any group of people?
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 11:52 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• "The project has been studied and delayed over and over again for 20 years"

Let's hope this gets taken out of the bill and put on hold for good. I don't see what party affiliation has to do with this but hey, whatever.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:24 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Democrats in Congress approved the giant budget bill last week with $183 million for Everglades projects, including $60 million for the bridge. Environmentalists contend that improving water flow is important for an overall Everglades restoration project.
    “You tell the tribe to follow the law, but when the tribe follows the law and wins, you throw them out of court,” says Lehtinen, whose wife is Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, R-Fla.
    http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/everglades_spending_bill/2009/03/03/188039.html

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:44 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Looks like Enviromentalists are beating up on Native American Indians.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• There are other, viable, scientific ways to solve the problem at hand. The Miccosukki tribe has suggested cleaning some culverts and doing some other small work that scientists do agree will solve the problem. I'll find the link after we do our family stuff today. I'm sure if you google it or listened to Hannity (ok I know that's a stretch for you liberal ladies ;D) you'll find what I'm talking about. There is NO reason for us to be violating that court order.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:42 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Hey this was on tv last night!
    Nobody read this crap line by line, alot of braindead believed Obama would read it. But please the dems and repubs didn't read it. Nobody did. And nothing was removed, only added to. Get used to that, there are plenty more ink pens awaiting Obama's crooked left hand.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 9:42 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I always was taught that the American Indians were a sort of country of their own and since they did not pay taxes and were not subject to our laws they required no federal money from us. Guess that was another fabricated story throughout history. And, by all means, the indians should reap some benefits of something. After all, our butts sit on what was once theirs that the whites stole.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 10:19 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Oh, Akin, I know no one read it. That's the point. LOL. This guy swore he would up and down, and we're signing cr** that violates our own laws, and spending so much money that I can't figure out how many generations I'll need to apologize to.

These people followed our laws, did things our way. And the pres in all his glory broke his promise AGAIN, and screwed them. I'd like any reasonable explanation. Not to mention, I'd call this an earmark, wouldn't you? Another promise in the gutter.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:45 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Nice call out post, like anyone here has any say in the budget. What was the question?

Friday

Answer by Friday at 11:59 AM on Mar. 7, 2009