head strong 9 month old

my child is 9 mos old....and into EVERYTHING...and finds it funny to do stuff she's not supposed to do..playing with plugins, playing/trying to eat the gravel at the fireplace (rental home, gas fireplace), and dislikes her pack and play other than to sleep in...how do i get her to listen?..if that's even the right word, to words like "stop" and "no"....we've baby proofed the house and she's still finding stuff to get into...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• At nine months old? She doesn't understand what you're saying. It's just so much noise to her at this point. All you can do is watch her like a hawk, put her in the play yard or in an exersaucer (mine LOVED this).

Answer by gdiamante at 12:12 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• The mind of a child is not a miniature version of ours. It's not nearly developed yet at that age and they just don't understand certain things yet. What you've described is NORMAL! some kids are just like that. It's a pain in the booty now, but I've read that those headstrong toddlers will be strong willed adults too, in a good way.
    Trinjo

Answer by Trinjo at 12:25 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I'd recommend redirecting at this age unless it's dangerous, then a swat on the diaper. my dd minds pretty well now, but it seemed like she never listened at 9 months! Just keep with it. It's a process so make sure you know what to fight over and what to just pull her away form.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Mar. 7, 2009