Do you believe in 'til death do us part?

I often wonder how realistic that is. My husband and I have been together for over 21 years and I find myself going in such a different direction as he. Truthfully, if we were to meet today, I don't think we'd marry as we are too different and my lifestyle is very different than when I was younger. And I'd like it to be even more different, but I am foregoing those desires. Ideally, I'd like to give up much of the materialism of this world and live simply, have no tv, eat 100% real/ identifiable foods, etc. We've both made concessions, but... I feel stifled and really do have a desire to leave the mainstream world.

Trinjo

Asked by Trinjo at 11:34 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• I don't believe in it, I mean of course I married my husband for life, but if it ever came to the point that we were just living two parallel paths that never crossed, I wouldn't go on, it's a waist of precious time in life. Just make sure that is what you truely want before you take action.
    Anonymous

• I feel kinda the same, I have been with my hubby for almost 6 yrs and I know I would not choose him again. However I made a commitment before GOD to stick with what I have choosen as a lifetime partner. Unless there is abuse or cheating I'm stuck! I see it as a prison sentence, I made a huge mistake...Now I have too live with it.
    BTW...My first husband, was into drugs and was starting to show signs that he was on the road to being abusive. Well I needed to leave but wanted to talk to my pastor first. He said drugs was considerd the same as adultry. WHY? Because adultry is anything that takes a man away from his wife. A wife should be first. He was putting drugs first therefore not putting his marriage first. He gave me his blessing and I took 10 yrs tonot make the same mistake. HAA...I made a bigger mistake!! I need to be a nun!
    My dh aren't so far from the same page. We are in different books!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:47 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Yes, I do but sometimes they don't
    emme1964

Answer by emme1964 at 12:02 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• My union with DH was a religious and spiritual union, as well as that we are "in love". We have the strength and the tools and other influences in our life together to grow with eachother and continue to love eachother. I feel we have the compatibility required, and I am also confident that we're very able to compromise. So, yes, I do.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:17 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I can understand your feelings. I have been with the same man for 20 yrs. We just try to talk about it. We used to not talk. But, if you can not talk anymore than it is time to move on. Don't stay together to just be together. Get help from a friend of doc. Theorpy is aways good also.
    Angelspellbound

Answer by Angelspellbound at 12:50 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• For me and my husband, yes. We have been married for only 7 years and we have a long road ahead of us, but I believe that we can stand the test of time. We've already endured so much in our 7 years together. We've been through job loss, losing our home, being on Government help and getting back on our feet. My husband stood by me when I took the stand against my father for raping me. He stood by me and protected me when my father hired someone to hurt us and kill my unborn child (they did not succeed though). We have been through far too much as a married couple and we still have a lifetime ahead of us. Our love is real and I firmly believe that we will be together till we die.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 1:55 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I certainly hope for it!

I've been married for 7 years and I can't imagine my life without my husband. I really hope till death does us part is in the cards for us.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 3:40 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I've been married 22 years and till death do us part is taking a lot longer than I thought it would. LOL My marraige hasn't turned out to be anything I thought or hoped it would be. He isn't abusive, he's just so damn passive. I agree with Trinjo that we are so different and don't even share the same values anymore, which makes raising children difficult. He constantly showers our son with toys and video games while I am trying to get our son to work on academics and show empathy for others. Sometimes I wish I hadn't married so young.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I think that if a person finds their true "soulmate" sort of speak then they are blessed to say to death do us part. I am single at the moment, but I have been married. The marriage did not work because alot of the problem started when our daughter passed away due to sudden infant death syndrome. I was so hurt because he turned to drugs instead of me. I think about it alot more than I want. I miss the marriage because I am alone. I have not found that special someone, and I wonder will I ever. I think a person is blessed to have that special someone in their life. A marriage is like a job. You have to work at it everyday. I have learned alot since being alone, and it is not fun being lonely I have to say.
    willsurvive

Answer by willsurvive at 7:31 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Yep. It was something my hubby made me promise to before we got married.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:52 AM on Mar. 7, 2009