How do you handle people telling your kids to do the oppistit of what you just told them to do?

proudmom579

Asked by proudmom579 at 11:36 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• My husband and I have had to deal with this a LOT... We finally came up with a great answer...
    He says:: "0o0o I'm sorry I thought I was his dad"
    I say:: *in a VERY sarcastic tone* THANK YOU so much!!! You know I just don't don't know how I ever managed to make it all this time raising him without you here..." (this is good for when nosey ppl give me 'advice' as well)
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 11:43 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I tell my kid in front of them to listen to Mommy (or Daddy).
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 11:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I have that problem with my parents. I finally just stood up to them and told them I'm their mom and they aren't, And it doesn't matter what they think, my kids still have to listen to me. Plus my mom will let them do whatever they want until it bothers her and she says "they won't ever listen to me" so i said, gee i wonder why, you taught them that they DON'T have to listen to anybody.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 12:13 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I tell my mom it's my way or she can leave, my kids WILL respect ME, she doesn't have to like it or agree she just has to keep her yap shut. If we are at her house my husband and I look at each other and we grab the kids and leave. She's gotten much better with syin things to our face so now she sneaks it when our backs are turned and out of range. But she's a psycho so hopefully u wont have the same problem.

But my dad and siblings learned that either they butt out or they miss out on the kids.
    Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 4:24 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• This happens with my MIL and my mom. I simply stop my children right away and say "No, you do what mommy said."
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 8:13 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I inform the person I am my childs parent and to back off. If they don't like they can leave or we can.
    Anonymous