Does labor hurt worse the second time?

I really think I got off lucky this first time around. I breathed, sat in the bathtub, and waited out my labor for as long as possible at home. The contractions weren't unbearable, but I couldn't sleep since they were two minutes apart.

When we got to the hospital, I was 5cm. They gave me Stadol so I could sleep before pushing. I refused the epidural. Semi-rested and ready, I pushed as hard as I could, but I was too exhausted to make real progress. I pushed for about 90 minutes, my husband told me. I don't remember feeling any real pain, at least nothing earth-shattering. I didn't even scream, like in the movies. I was terrified, and spent the whole time just waiting for that "worst pain known to man" to come. It didn't. I pushed. I crowned. The nurse brought in a cheeseburger. The days of breastfeeding afterward were more painful, honestly.

I'm really afraid I have a false confidence when it comes to birthing now.

MommyAmazon

Asked by MommyAmazon at 11:38 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Everyone is different. The more you KNOW about birthing, the less likely it is to be painful. Sitting at home laboring in your tub, in a relaxed environment definitely helped you a lot, I can guarantee that.
    Generally, subsequent labors are faster and easier than your first, so don't worry about it. :)
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 11:41 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I have had four babies. They were all different. My last two babies were easier than my first two. It's hard to say. No two pregnancies are exactly the same. But no matter how much pain, if you want another baby it shouldn't matter. Once you hold that beautiful baby in your arms you tend to forget about it, it was worth it for me.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• i dont know from personal experience, but after watching (& watching & watching for hours on end) birthing videos online, i noticed that some woman scream, some dont. sometimes its more of a loud moan, sometimes she just tears up a little & breaths hard....its all different. you really did luck out the first time around it seems, but just go in & concentrate on this birth & not the fact the other one was easy...might make this one more painful...GOOD LUCK!!
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 11:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I had no pain at all when I had both kiddies. I noticed that the second pregnancy was a lot more uncomfortable though. So, maybe I was just relieved to get it over with?
    mommyd23

Answer by mommyd23 at 11:52 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• lol - I agree that the following days were worse than the birth. Oh, the cramping!! Ugh!! I'm so happy to see other posters say how the more videos you watch, the more comfortable you'll be. If you watch comfortable, confident women give birth, you'll be much more inclined to do the same! :o) I was in the water a lot with my first couple of kids, and barely or not at all with my last two. There wasn't a huge difference really, but I am glad that I was in the water when the labor allowed it.
    Trinjo

Answer by Trinjo at 11:57 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• My second labor was my easiest and quickest...

My third labor hurt the worst. Of course it's the one I went all natural with no pain mediation.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 3:38 AM on Mar. 7, 2009