-Repost- Didn't get many responses first time. Please read this tragic story and answer my question.

Have you ever had issues with your dog and your baby or older kids?

My son has been begging for a dog for a long time now. My husband and I are dog lovers and have been waiting for DS to grow and be more responsible before we got him a dog. Recently we decided to get our son a puppy for his birthday next month. We also have a 2 month old baby. This was a huge story in our community yesterday and it is absolutely sickening. Now I am really hesitating about getting a dog. I could barely even read this article I was so upset. I know something this severe is not common, but have you or someone you know had trouble with dogs and kids?

http://www.azfamily.com/news/homepagetopstory/stories/mesa-local-news-030509-dog-kills-baby.5ca87c1.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Pets

• We got our dog, a Great Pyrenees cross, when our oldest son was about 20 months. He has been an excellent family dog. He absolutely loves all our kids, the worst he's ever done has been to knock them over when they were little (and too many doggy kisses), and that's just because he's a big dog and doesn't know his own strength, he thinks he's a lapdog. I grew up with dogs, my mil who baby sits for us has several small dogs and there has never been an incident with any of them. It's all about common sense. Don't leave baby where the dog can get at them. Teach your children to respect the dog, because as much as the dog is a member of the family he's still an animal with animal instincts when he's scared or feels threatened. Research the type of dog you want, what it's needs are, will it be a good fit with young kids, and "meet" the parents if possible and find out what their temperments are like. Good luck.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:55 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• DH sent a copy of this in my email yesterday. Warning me not to leave our dog alone with our 2 week old. That's just awful. I think you can do research and find a good family pet. I don't think any dog should be left alone with a baby. Many people have great dogs who have grown up with their kids as babies. Good luck.
    michelle1219

Answer by michelle1219 at 11:57 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• My advice is if you have doubts at all, don't. It's best to introduce a new dog to the family when all of your children are at least 5 years old, anyway. Many shelters won't even let you adopt if there's a child younger than that in the home.

When I was pregnant, hubby's alpha male border collie bit us (and other dogs), so he had to go. We got a Great Dane a few months after that, and he's so gentle he may as well be a kitten. Seriously, he runs away from cats! He also lets our 6 month old use him as a jungle gym. However, I never leave them alone in a room together, even in her pack n' play. Hubby says I'm being overprotective, but I don't want to be like the mother in the article. You can never trust a dog 100%.
    MommyAmazon

Answer by MommyAmazon at 12:00 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• My aunt had 3 dogs, a lab, a collie and a german sheperd all of which were great dogs and we're seriously with my son EVERYDAY. EVERYDAY we were at her house so they knew my son since the day he was born. The german shepard named duke was very protective of my son. When my son was about 1 1/2 yrs old he was hugging duke and the dog turned and took my sons whole face into his mouth. If he would of been just been a nose hair closer to my sons eye...he would have a fake eye today. thank god it wasnt that bad but never the less it was scary as hell. that same day...the dog went to the spca.

My son is 5 now and I also have a 4month old. IMy 5 yr old wants a dog and I think dogs are great animals but the safety of my children is more important so he was happy to get a bird.

Its better to be safe than sorry.

I hope you do whatever you feel is the best for your family.

Good Luck!
    KiLora_Gifts

Answer by KiLora_Gifts at 12:05 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I've only ONCE known a problem with a dog, in 46 years...my brother got bitten on the nose by our aunt's dog. I no longer remember what kind.

But if you don't feel safe, then don't get a dog. It's not fair to you nor to the animal.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:10 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• maybe suggest something he can keep in a cage, or a fish tank. they're a little easier to maintain, and don't require 100% of your attention the way a dog would. If you're not comfortable, don't do it. Let the babies grow a little older, then consider it.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:21 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• We had a Welsh Corgi when I was growing up. My parents got her as a young adult from people who lived on a farm. They must have hit her with a fly swatter because she would go nuts when anyone picked up a fly swatter. She was around for a few years before me and I think she saw me as 'competition.' She did bite me twice- the first time when I was about five and made a 'shooing' motion at her with my hand. I think she thought I was going to hit her and bit me first. It didn't break the skin. The second time was when I was about eight and she was losing her vision- I leaned over her to get something and scared her and she bit me on the face. Again, it did not break the skin. My suggestion would be to get a puppy so you know the dog is being well socialized. I think a lot of the issues were because the dog had been smacked a lot by the previous owners. I would also supervise the child with the dog all the time.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:29 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Freela, that's funny about the Welsh Corgi afraid of the fly swatter. We have a Corgi, just 1 yr old now, but we bought him straight from the breeder's home, and she NEVER threatened or used a fly swatter on him, and neither have we, so when I got it out of the broom closet to kill a spider the other day, the dog runs off with his tail between his legs. Maybe it's a Corgi thing!

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:04 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• If you are worried about it, get a different type of pet for your child...maybe a cat? We have a German Shorthair Pointer/Lab Mix (a breed known to be suberb with kids). She is the absolute sweetest little being on this planet. She is fully trained and at 7 years old, has never barked or even growled at a human BUT, I still NEVER leave her and my 2 year old alone, even though she's been with him since he was born. It's just one of those "mommy fears" that I have. And yes, it is a pain in the ass sometimes, but it's necessary. About the article...Chows are known for attacking kids and saddly the mom and dad made a terrible mistake. You can very well, find a good dog by researching each breed. Here is a wonderful website: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/children.htm

If you are still nervous about it, just don't do it. Trust your instincts as a mom.
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 3:42 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• WE got a lab mix when I ws pregnant with my youngest who is now 21. Sandy was the nany of all kids she knew. SHE taught Carin to walk b/c big brother & sister kept knocking baby down. She knew when the kids were due off the school bus...She was a 1 in a million dog. My DD has a Jack Russell who is awesome with my granddaughter who is 14 months old.
    Witht he story OP shared, I thinks it was case of jealousy . Chows are VERY possive(I have friends who had to put their chows down just for that reason)
    Don't dismiss having a dog. Just get a breed like a lab, a collie, a poodle....a FAMILY dog. I'd get a young dog not necessiarily(sp) a puppy & have it obedience trained. You will be surprised how wonderful a additon to the family the right dog can be
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 4:04 AM on Mar. 7, 2009