Is it normal for a 4 & a half yr old boy to constantly talk to themselves?

My son has nobody to play with and I worry that he is lonely. I guess It is mainly because I was alone alot as a child, talked to myself to fill that void.
Should I worry?
He talks to himself and answers back...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• aww:( wow,.i think he is lonely!how sad:( i think id start to pay more attention to him(not saying you dont)but maybe he just wants some companion time.idk,.does he go to the park to play with the other kids?daycare etc?maybe try to organize some playdates?

im my dd best friend!lol im constantly playing legos or anything with her..i think your ds is normal,..just lonely:(
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 12:35 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• we are in minnesota..sooo...no parks for awhile yet :o(
    We do have time together, we do things and everything but I also have other things, like housework, cooking and laundry.
    My beef is, is that his dad has no interaction with him other then handing out a snack from time to time. Seriously if my son gets tickled or rough housed it is from me or his sisters! Dad doesn't know what to do...He tells me he's waiting for him to get old enough for guns so they can hunt...Whatever...
    It just kills me my son does not have the life I want him to have....I play with him and do workbooks, but there's only so much a mom can do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• My youngest is 4.5 and does this. I think its normal around this age to develop more of an imagination, and he is constantly telling his trucks what he expects from them and how to do it. He has an older brother, and he's far from lonely. It's just his personality - the kid doesn't know when to stop talking.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:58 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• yea,..i know what you mean!about the housework and cooking..i know you play with him,.sorry if it came across rude,.maybe you should talk to his dad about this.tel him he really needs his daddy for like an hour or two of daddy time a day/
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 1:25 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• its actually a normal part of development. They don't quite realize that their thoughts are private yet, and so tend to speak them out loud. Its mostly prevalent when they are at play or puzzle solving. Its like what we do in our heads to guide ourselves in a task. We mentally say "do this, now do that..." they just do it out loud. If you are really concerned, you can talk to your ped, but I can tell you he'll say the same thing. Literally he's just guiding himself!
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 1:51 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• no I'm not offended by what you said the first time....It is good advice to say I should talk to the dad....however he is reserved in nature and also feels that because he is 10 yrs older then me he just knows more....so I don't have a voice with him....but thank you for your support! I do mean that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• katzmeow...you are right, he has no idea his thoughts should be private! he talks and talks as if he were the only one around..it is just scary at how invovled he gets with things! lol! I'm sure I'm just over concerned...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• He may just have a very active imagination! If it gets to a point where he only wants to talk to himself and not others I'd worry, but he really just sounds like a normal 4year old :-)
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 2:29 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• My DS is an only child. He is 3yo and he talks to himself. He talks to himself during play and other things. i've even said "what honey? what did you say?" and he'll say "no mom. i was talking to me." lol
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:14 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Does he just talk to himself or does it appear he is interacting with someone you cant see?
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 7, 2009