Did you have a midwife or OB?

Are you happy with your decision? What did you like best?
I had the same ob for both of my boys but would like to go natural (no induction this time & no drugs) so I wanna hear the pros & cons of using a midwife vrs an ob

lizafur13

Asked by lizafur13 at 12:27 AM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i've used midwives with all of mine (the one i'm having right now included). what i like about using a midwife is that you get a lot more attention and care. i mean, the midwives i've used were all really more like friends. they really seem to care and take a lot of time to make sure that you're well and make sure all your questions are answered. the other thing i like vs. using an ob is that, with an ob if you go into labor and your dr. is out of town, then an on-call dr. would deliver your baby. . . a person you've never met! and even if your dr. is in town, they don't usually show up until the very end. . . just to basically "catch" the baby. if you have a long labor, then you have different nurses changing shifts, etc. with a midwife, when you go into labor and she comes to your house (or you go to a birth center) she's there with you the whole time. and she's the one who's seen you from day one. i've loved using midwives.
    rachelo

Answer by rachelo at 12:39 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• i had Ob but had no choice i was very high risk
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 12:28 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• i had an OB but didnt really look into anything else. i dont really know the difference btw the two. but i just like the idea of giving birth w/ a doctor who studied this for years & i like the safety of a hospital.

again i dont really know much about what a midwife is for.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:31 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Just to clear I am not pregnant now just trying to get info gathered.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 12:32 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I had a ob for my first and i have the same one for this baby. I have to have drugs,lol. I couldn't go natural. Much praise to you for wanting to do so!!! I am happy with my decision. My epi didn't affect me like some ladies say it did them. I wasn't groggy, I remember everything, I did skin to skin and bf shortly after. Good luck with everything!!!
    proudmamma9706

Answer by proudmamma9706 at 12:35 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I had a midwife with my 2 oldest and they are great. But I didn't have a vaginal birth because I only dilated 1.centimeter. With my daughter i was gonna try a Vbac but My water break at 6 weeks and I had to get a emergency c-section because it was broke for so long(my water never broken before so I didn't know what the hell was going on lo)l. Other than that their supportive and I learned alot of about other ways of giving birth and other alternatives to pain medication because when you give birth in a birthing center they can't give epidural. I would definetly recommend a midwife. I had a better experience with a midwife than my Ob/gyn. Midwives takes their time wit you and shows that they really care. I swear I felt like I was the only patient they had.
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 12:37 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I used an OB. I think it went great. I got to check up on things like the ultra sounds.. and the heart beats every time.. I loved it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:59 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I used the same midwife for my entire first pregnancy and part of my second. I loved her. She made me feel so comfortable and that birthing was 100% natural. She worked for the base my husband was stationed on so I did give birth to my oldest at the hospital but I wouldnt change it for the world. After we moved to Germany I had both. Thats just how they do it here. I enjoyed my ob a lot and I liked that he encouraged natural birthing to the fullest but again thats something they do in Germany anyways lol Both the midwife and ob were in the delivery room when I gave birth. I would do both again only in Germany if we were able to have more kids.
    kristinlimon

Answer by kristinlimon at 8:27 AM on Mar. 7, 2009