Should I take her to the Dr?

My 3 year old started having diarrhea and vomitting early last night. She continued throughout the night. Early this afternoon she began having a fever and it's only gotten higher. I've given her one dose of motrin but I don't know how much actually stayed down. The fever is now up to 103 and she's still coughing, vomitting and having diarrhea.

My first urge is to take her to the hospital or at least to call the on call Dr to ask them about it but I'm worried they'll just tell me the same thing they always do--it's a virus and just to ride it out. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Mar. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• The ER may be a bit over the top. Some pedialyte and an Urgent care center will probably be what she needs. If the urgen care centers or after hours clinics are closed, then the ER it is. Her fever is high, but it is consistent with your usual stomach bug. It doesn't sound like the flu because symptoms tend to set in QUICK. The fever would have started with the vomiting. It really does sound like a gastro intestinal issue, but the main concern is fever and dehydration.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Is there an Pediatric Urgent Care where you live?
    The fever is really scary expecially 103!
    When my son runs fever at night or on the weekends & I can't break it or he has other symptons with it I take him straight to Urgent Care. Depending on the time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• If she is unable to keep down any fluids and the fever persists, take her to the emergency room. Flu symptoms can mean something worse. If she is able to keep down some fluids and if the fever starts to go down after some baby ibuprofren (motrin) then she'll probably be able to kick it without a doc.
    My daughter got really sic one day. She started vomiting and pooping. She couldn't even keep down a sip of water. After about 6 hours of this i gave her a piece of bread. immediatley she started drinking water and stopped puking. All of a sudden it was like nothing was wrong at all. Kids are resiliant like that.
    fallenruby

Answer by fallenruby at 12:42 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• We don't have a pediatric urgent care facility here but her doctor sees patients on Saturdays.

And yes, the higher fever is really worrying me. I'm also worried because she's only had about 1 or 2 wet "diapers" today. (she's been wearing pull-ups since last night.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• If it were my child and Motrin or a cool bath didn't work for the fever, I would take her to the dr.
    Only 2 wet diapers all day tells me she's probably dehydrated.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:00 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• For your own sanity to take her to a dr. and I hope she starts to feel better soon.

HUGS!
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 1:01 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• TAke her to the ER Now! It's better to be safe than sorry. who care's what they think..this is your child. Hopefully they will test for strep, menigitites, flu, etc...Give her more motrin, if it gets too high, she might have a seizure..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Mar. 7, 2009