relactating Please Help!!

I need advice and encouragement!! My daughter Kohlee is 9 months old and her dr and I feel that relactating is the best option for her at this point. It has been about 5 months since I had a severe allergic reaction to poison ivy and the meds I had to take were not compatible with breastfeeding. The whole ordeal took about 6 weeks before I was able to breastfeed again. I did the pump and dump the whole time and when I was able to nurse again she refused. She would scream before I could even try to get my breast in her mouth. With no support or guidance and very little milk left I gave up way to easily. Kohlee has always spit up a lot and it became much worse after she was on formula. I kept getting told it was acid reflux and she would grow out of it. Now she is 9 months old and if anything it is worse. She doesn't really get much other than formula. She chokes on everything. She get some baby food in an infant feeder so it

Jenn0302

Asked by Jenn0302 at 12:44 AM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Can you pump and give her the bottle? Maybe try fenugreek...not sure if it helps for relactating but it helps for producing....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:55 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• go to kellymom.com and locate a certified lactation consultant or la leche league. maybe a nippke shield can help for now. also look into an SNS.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:58 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• To get her to latch, do a lot of skin to skin. Take baths with her, co-sleep topless, wear her in a wrap around the house shirtless. It is much easier to extract milk from a bottle than from the breast, and the tongue motion is the complete opposite.

As far as getting your supply up, definitely fenugreek, oatmeal, flax, plenty of fluids, and pump pump pump.

Also seek out a lactation consultant. She will be able to give you a lot of advice and support.

mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 4:44 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• For help from other moms with experience getting an older baby to nurse go to http://www.asklenore.com/

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• i took 3 fenugreek and 3 blessed thistle pills 3x a day to build my supply back up.
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 3:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2009