Why does my daughter always feels sick when we go out to eat?

My daughter is 7 almost 8. Recently in the past year or so she gets nauseous whenever we are out to eat at a restaurant. She seems to feel fine up until the food is served then takes a few bites and feels ill. Whats interesting is she doesn't have this problem at all at home. It also doesn't seem to bother her when we go out for a quick lunch during the day. We can certainly avoid going out, but I feel sad that she has to deal with this. It's not fun to be nauseous especially at a restaurant.

Nevaeh8

Asked by Nevaeh8 at 12:54 AM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Health

• that's crazy...poor girl. It could be psycological. Has she ever had an emotionally distrubing experience at a resteraunt?? On the up side, eating out isn't always very healthy. In the long run this could be a good thing.
    fallenruby

Answer by fallenruby at 12:57 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• maybe because the cooks dont wash there hands or spit in the food, or she gets nervous to eat around people! thats how I use to be, I hated eatting around alot of people in public resturants so as soon as they would bring me the food I would get nauseated just thinking they were watching me as I eat, it would get me hot flashes and I would start to sweat:( and I had to sit in a corner facing the wall inorder to feel a little more comfortable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• my hubby has issues when we go out to eat, so we always order our food to go. restaurant food at the relaxation of home. the things that bothers hubby in restaurants are - people watching you eat, the constant noise (he isn't able to concentrate with so many people talking) and he's a normally shy guy. he doesn't like big crowds or full places. many restaurants he just doesn't like the atmosphere. if you feel its not the food that's bothering her it might be the people or crowd.
    zombie_mommy

Answer by zombie_mommy at 1:38 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I would say she likes the attention. If you know it isn't that---perhaps it is the MSG in the food....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• It could be a totally subconcious thing where she's nervous about germs or other people touching her food. It's really very common with kids her age. As she is getting smarter about the world and learning things at school and on TV, she's probably hearing more and more about tainted foods, and people who do "icky" things to the food in the kitchens. It does sound sad that she is going through that. Have you ruled out eating disorders? Any food allergies such as a sensitivity to gluten? Maybe the heavier dinner time meals are just grossing her out? Maybe if you go out to dinner, both of you order a "lunch type" meal and see if she reacts the same way. If so, maybe just skip restaurants for a few months and try again later. Good Luck.
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 3:08 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I did that every time we went out to eat. Turned out I had a highly sensitive nose and the smells made me sick. We couldn't get a table anywhere near the kitchen or the steam table if it was a buffet. I spent most of the time in the bathroom because there were no smells in there (imagine that!)

Answer by admckenzie at 9:36 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I have had issues with this.... one thing is too much salt. For some reason if I eat too much salt (like most restaurants serve) I feel nauseated, dehydrated, just nasty. Try to make sure you order her something that won't have a lot of salt.

If she is having more salt or fat than you cook at home, that could be a reason.

Also think about if there is any other common link. Does she eat mints from the hostes stand everytime you go out? Maybe she is allergic to the mints... Does she not like to use public toilets and hold her bathroom until she feels sick?.... just try to think if there is any other common thread.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Mar. 7, 2009