• In the Spotlight:

any body know how to get rid of head lice

txgerbermom

Asked by txgerbermom at 1:28 AM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Kids' Health

• those headlice kits you can buy at the store dont work very well. ...but use one of those and then maybe try adding some kind of oil to your hair. Lice like clean hair. ...they cant move around in oily hair. they'll get stuck and die.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:38 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• You can buy rid from the store and that will help get them out of his/her hair. However I wanted to also add all the bed clothing or anything that he/she laid on needs to be cleaned in hot water. The mattress should be vacuumed off and any stuff animals, blankets, etc. needs to be washed. Carpets need to be cleaned if he/she had contact.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:02 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• They have lice kits, they have shampoo and a comb. You can also use mayo, and a plastic cap on their head (shower cap). Then wash all bedding, use the lice spray on car seats, (where her/his head has been), couches and such. Let the house air out a few hours after you spray. Also, put stuffed animals in plastic bags and put away for a few weeks.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 9:42 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• The lice kits that they have at most pharmacies are quite effective but because the lice hatch in stages, you may need to do two or three treatments. As other moms have suggested, you do also have to sterilize bedding, stuffed animals, furniture, hats, coats etc.... to get rid of them completely.

Wash EVERYTHING in the water with the Hottest temperature.
    dlb99

Answer by dlb99 at 7:42 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• hot water and vinegar. i've seen it work.
    Mommy2Charles

Answer by Mommy2Charles at 12:30 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Go to walmart. Buy a box of "Rid" per person in the household.
    Also, buy the Rid spray to spray carpets and furniture. (Buy enough to do at least three treatments, three weeks apart)
    Put all stuffed animals, blankets, pillows, sheets, ect. into garbage bags and take to local laundrymat. Wash ALL in hot water.
    Do not reintroduce those items back into your home until you have sprayed your entire house.
    Vaccuum everything that you can, including furniture.
    When using the Rid in hair, you have to do more than just wash your hair with it. You need to spend hours picking out the lice eggs. Otherwise you'll be doing it over and over and over again. Pick out the lice eggs and place into a towel that can be thrown into the trash. DO NOT KEEP THIS TOWEL.

It's a long process, and a royal pain in the ass, but it can be done effectively.
    crdc91506

Answer by crdc91506 at 5:00 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Honestly I am glad and knocking on wood that it is someone eles for a change. My daughters school had to tent the school after the children would keep on getting it I hate it. I wash my daughters hairwith rid ever other week and now only once a month but I hope never to get it again. Rid but the dr. told me to do this since rid wasnt getting them all.

A shower cap and mayo, vinger

First take the vinger and soak the head then you take the mayo and place all over the hair and scalp then the shower cap you sleep over night. My daughter rememebers doing this I even did it my self so she wasnt the only one. She calls it the hair salad. lol well it worked but use a metal corm since the plastic ones dont work very well.
    moma22angels

Answer by moma22angels at 11:45 PM on Mar. 8, 2009