How to get a baby off a bottle

My son sleeps with a bottle i know its horrible but i got in the habbit cause i was pregnant and it was just easier ( I KNOW I KNOW HORRIBLE) but i cant seem to get him off of it do i just take it away and let him cry himself to sleep and if so how long do you think that will last? a week or so? Got any other ideas ...he also wont drink milk out of a sippy cup only out of his bottle....ive tried everything with that pouring the milk from his bottle into like 6 different cups infront of him he takes a sip and lets is just drip out of his mouth...he has to have milk! UGHH Im frustrated help! I also have a 3 month old im overwhelmed!

mic2005

Asked by mic2005 at 1:29 AM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my oldest was on the bottle till 2 1/2 and i weened him when i weened my second who was 10 mths, i just threw them out and my younger one had no problem but my oldest fussed for a few days. my daughter is 15 mths and im not sure how to go about gettin her off the bottle, i think im gonna wait it out abit till she shows she is ready.
    good luck
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 1:34 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I worked in daycare with kids that were ages 10months to 15months, and I ALWAYS had the task of breaking the bottle. For mos tkids it was simple, I offered the sippy and they eventually got used to it. For some it was very difficult, they wanted nothing to do with the bottle. It got to a point where myself and the parents agreed we would "shock" them into it. (its not as bad as it sounds) we simply took the bottle away. It was gone, there was no other option but the sippy cup, for the first couple of days they didnt drink a lot, but after a day or so they drank out of it like pros!! You may just have to shock him into it. Or you can do what I do with my daughter, shes 8 months right now and Im starting weening just to avoid the attachment. I feed her the sippy like its a bottle, I held it and all. and now she has no problems at all! Try the nubby cup, its most similar to a bottle. good luck!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:20 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• If you really want to get to get him off the bottle, trust me (mother of three), you can but you'll have to be willing to listen to him cry for a day or two. He is just testing you and wanted his way but a cup will do just fine. Let him pick out his own sippy cups at the store and when you get home, just get rid of the bottles SO HE CAN'T SEE THEM!! That is the most important part!!! When all he sees in the cabinet are sippy cups, he will have to chose one or you just get it for him and when he is thirsty, he will finally give in. Good luck if you try this out.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 9:39 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• If I were you, I would let the kid have the bottle. My son had his till HE was ready to give it up. Bottles, especially if they are filled with milk, are a comfort for babies and toddlers. So I wasn't going to take a comfort from him. He took juice and water out of a sippy but wanted his milk in a bottle. He gave his bottle up in December; he was 2.5 years old exactly. His teeth are perfect too. I had my bottle till I was 4 and my teeth are fine. And the AAP even says...

"Many mothers are bottle-feeding their children beyond age 2, even though pediatricians often recommend the bottle be given up by 12 to 18 months, according to a California study of 191 healthy full-term infants.

Researchers found 42 percent of 2- to 3-year-olds were fed about three bottles a day, and 16 percent of 3- to 4-year-olds were given an average of 2.1 bottles a day."
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:47 AM on Mar. 7, 2009