8 Month Old (used to) wont sleep though the night.

Our 8 month old wont sleep though the night. She gets to sleep fine and when she wakes up she'll go back to sleep on her own. Except if she's hungry. She'll cry until we feed her, most of the time getting louder and louder as we prepair the bottle. (Yes, we bottle-feed. I had complications and will be back to pumping in a matter of months.)
She wakes up 3-5 times during the night to eat.
We used to put baby cereal in her bottle (pediatrician recommended) and she slept the entire night through. We started this when she was 6.5 months old and stopped when she was 7 months old because we learned of the hazards of putting cereal in a bottle. Now we cannot get her to stay asleep due to hunger, nomatter what we do. She will only eat about half a baby food jar a day. When she's done she just spits it out.. Out of desperation (i have a sleeping disorder) we gave her the tinyest bit of cereal and she slept 3 hours longer than ususal.

SpiritedTigress

Asked by SpiritedTigress at 1:39 AM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried giving her cereal in a bowl with some fruit mixed in? She might like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• i agree with the first anon, try feeding her cereal with the fruit. right now her body needs to get used to eating food. She will gradually eat more and more, keep offering it to her. Try feeding her the baby food an hour before or after her bottle, that way shes not super stuffed from the formula. She will start eating more, espeially when she realizes that it fills her up better. just dont give up. keep trying to give her the cereal (in a bowl if course, i personally never agreed with the cereal in a bottle thing). She will get better!! good luck!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:15 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• You can try the cereal before bed, but I know that when we surveyed moms over on the Breastfeeding Moms group, we found it made babies sleep worse.

Really...sleeping through the night isn't a state that continues all the way through the year. Many babies don't do it in year one at all.

Check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. It will help.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:47 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• My 5 month old daughter just started waking to eat during the night.. *sigh*
    amber325

Answer by amber325 at 7:43 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Give her a big bowl of oatmeal right before bed time.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 8:58 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I say either feeding her oatmeal right before bed along with a bottle of formula. OR you could just give her an 8 ounce bottle of formula which SHOULD last her 7 hours. I have a 9 month old who would only wake up once at night if givin a 8 ounce bottle right before bed and an 8 ounce bottle when she wakes up bout 6 or 7 hours after that. and she should be good til bout 11am but i would also try feeding her cereal 3 times a day to keep her happy and less on bottles. that's what my pediatrician told me. less bottles, more baby food that way she gets used to it. my pediatrician told me to feed her 4 times a day but i think that's a bit much. i think like 3 times a day plus a 8 ounce bottle of formula SHOULD be good to satisfy her. so yeah.. try the 8 ounce bottle and see what happens if you havent already...
    mom4life86

Answer by mom4life86 at 3:10 PM on Mar. 7, 2009