What do you think?

Do you think it's right for schools to request a required visit to the dentist just to enroll your son/daughter in school? Kindergarten?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Wow, that's stupid. I mean, what if the family had no insurance? What would they do? Not be able to enroll their chil/children into school.?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Nope I sure don't.

munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 1:59 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• you must live in the same town i do. my son is in kindergarten and the school sent a letter in Jan saying they had free clinics at school to get the kids teeth done, either have the school do it or bring in a not from the dentist with the results b4 the end of Jan. i was rather POed, called the nurse and told her that it was confidential info and also my kids see their dentist during the summer and my insurance only covers 1 visit per year and i wasnt about to let anyone other than my dentist to look at my kids.

it crazy just one more hassle parents have to deal with
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 2:03 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• i dont understand what teeth have to do with school? I can understand them wanting shots and stuff, but a dental check up? that seems kinda stupid
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:08 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I work at an elementary school and all I said to myself was "Thank God they didn't pass this law before my son was 6. I had no insurance back then and I was dealing with lots of stuff in my life. I see the deer in headlights look from the moms that I have to translate for and they look scared. They will refer you to a free clinic and no, they will not deny your child an education. It is a way of teaching parents that yes, they can get the child dental care and there is a lot of free stuff in this country. Especially dental check-ups.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:12 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Amanduh, I am only telling you from my experience but a lot of times, kids that have never gone to a dentist or have tooth pain are miserable. I have sent many a child to the nurses office because they are crying because of pain. It disrupts their learning and playtime. I had a 1st grader on Monday who's teeth were bleeding and she was scared, it was gingivitis. How can a child learn when their teeth hurt and "certain" moms won't even take them to a free clinic?
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:16 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• well if they provide the dentist.. I don't see a problem with it.. a lot of families can't afford a dentist and don't qualify for assistance.. so it could be helpful for the children.. there are a lot of new studies about teeth lately, and some of the findings are pretty scary.

But as I said.. only if they are willing to pay for these exams.. it's not something that should be required by a school if it has to come out of the parents pockets.. that's just not fair to many.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:13 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• and around here, we dont have a free dentist clinic.
    xxhazeldovexx

• Kids should go to the dentist. If this is the only way some will go then I am all for it. So many kids parents do neglect their childrens teeth and that is sad. Kids should be to the dentist when they first get teeth. Parents should think about this stuff before having children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:16 AM on Mar. 7, 2009