How do you budget $300 for 2 weeks?

This is after the bills are paid( and one having to put a payment arrangement on) before groceries and gas etc..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• i dont hav a clue... (s0rry) but if u get any gud answers... please share the luvv
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 2:19 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• well you clip coupons, order the angel food (if it's available in your area), buy cheaper groceries, dont go anywhere unless you have to, etc It can be done that is pretty much what we do is $300 every 2 weeks
    crazy_mum

Answer by crazy_mum at 2:23 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Without knowing specifics, it's kinda hard to answer your question. Are you asking how you can buy groceries and gas with that much money? If so, how many people do you need to feed, how is your car on gas / how far do you need to go to drive to work, etc? How much do you pay for gas, that sort of stuff.

Basically though, if you are very careful, use coupons, and don't buy pre-packaged or instant sorts of meals, your money can go a lot farther.

For example, instead of buying hamburger helper, buy hamburger, a box of elbow macaroni, some canned tomato sauce, and some spices, and you can make it (better) on your own, for a lot cheaper.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:23 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• shop smart, if you dont need it dont buy it!! Think realistically about what you have to get. how much will you need for gas? set it aside. Diapers? set it aside. If you desperately need groceries only buy it if its on sale or store brand. skimp on the expensive meals eat hamburger helper and ramen. It can be done!! I do it all the time, and that includes diapers and formula, and gas, and so on. There is no rule that says you have to go grocery shopping every week. I go grocery shopping once every two or three months and still only spend $200 at the absolute most. If you dont need to grocery shop right this second take what you can afford and put it to the side for when you do need to shop and do that every paycheck. you basically want to sit down and do a budget plan like u would for bills. Write out everything and see where you can cut back
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:24 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• cont

If you look at the prices of things and look at the unit cost for the items, sometimes the bigger size is cheaper, ounce for ounce, sometimes the smaller size is cheaper. Sometimes, if you have a coupon, you can get a better deal. (For example - the other day, I bought 2 small jars of parm cheese, because there was a coupon for 20 cents off - using 2 and buying 2 small ones was cheaper overall than buying one and only using 1.)

Anyway, I don't know if that's the sort of thing you mean, but I hope it helps. If you want some cheap and easy recipes, just send me a pm and I'll send you some that could help with the food budget if you want :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:27 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Well I don't know your exact situation, how many in your family, etc. I normally only have $300 per paycheck (every 2 weeks ) for gas and groceries and household items. I can spend about $150 if I am buying super cheap for groceries to feed 5 people and still keep it healthy for 2 weeks. Buy lots of rice, dried beans, ramen noodles, pasta and sauce, frozen vegetables, canned fruit or whatever fresh fruit is cheapest (normally apples), cereal and milk, oatmeal, frozen bone in chicken thighs, condensed soups, and make home made snacks. Buy popcorn kernels in the bag and pop it at home in a pot. Healtheir that way too. Buy chocolate chips and make your own cookies. Make homemade quick breads like applesauce bread (a jar of applesauce is like $1.50). As for gas, go to www.gasbuddy.com to find the cheapest gas in your area and unless it is really a lot further out, get gas at the least expensive convenient place to you.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:30 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• What's the etc?

I can stretch $300 over two weeks if I must, but it's not easy because of the cost of gas and the length of our commutes. I just shop very smart, and make sure to fill up at the cheapest gas stations. (mygasbuddy.com can give you guidance for that.)

Answer by gdiamante at 2:36 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• DIVIDE 300 BY 14 AND TAKE ONE DAY AT A TIME...YOU MIGHT FIND YOURSELF NOT SPENDING MUCH ON SOME DAYS...THEN THE DAYS YOUR NOT SPENDING ANYTHING ON YOU CAN PUT THAT TOWARDS THE DAYS YOU NEED IT THEN BEFORE YOU KNOW IT 2 WEEKS I ALREADY GONE
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 9:47 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• i'm not really sure what you're asking. we spend about $250/month on groceries and toiletries for our family of 5. about $200/month on gas for DH and me. i guess it would be MORE than a normal budget for me! :) if i were you, i'd start an EF. if you have debt, i'd put the rest toward that. if not, save it.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• First of all split up the $$$ 50/50 set aside 150.00 for next week so you do not dip into it. This will make things much easier. Figure out how much gas you will need and try to plan all your car trips to do the most for you. I know when I go into town it is on a day when I will run all my errands. So as not to waste any gas. Figure out a menu for each week that way you will know exactly what you will need whan you go to the store for food. plus that way you can use left overs from one meal to go into another meal. Making a menu may seem hard but it really isn't once you get used to it. And you save so much $$$ when you do the shopping because you aren't just tossing random items in the cart and thinking up meals when you get home. Plus at dinner time you already know your choices makes fixing dinner faster and easier. making food from scratch saves a lot of $$$
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:04 AM on Mar. 7, 2009