Should I let my 6 year old play on the computer?

He loves to read he has lots of books likes to play pretend. What if that all changes? I filter his world. What if all he wants to do is be on the computer? He is the only boy, he has two younger sisters they love to play with him. i love for them to play togrther after school and on the weekends together. Is the computer good are bad?

canigetahifive

Asked by canigetahifive at 2:43 AM on Mar. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't think it's a problem. Get him the PC games at walmart, for kids of course. My friends little sister LOVES THEM. Her parents only let her play them for 30-45 min a day. Unless she gets in trouble for something :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• An hour a week as a special treat won't hurt.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 3:02 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• My DS is 3yo and i let him play on the computer. It's not an everyday thing. ...not even a once a week thing. ...but every once in a while he wants to play games on the computer. We always make sure they are educational and sometimes he does play for like 3 days in a row or whatever. ...but i too limit my sons TV and things like that. Once he gets a little older and is able to do more on the computer and becomes more interested i will lay down similiar rules as to the ones i already have in place for TV time.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:05 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• My 4 and 6 year olds play on the computer every day. They play Webkinz and Neopets along with some other website geared just for girls....like dress up, make up, taking care of babies. As long as his use is monitored I don't see anything wrong with it....after all the world is going all computer. Consider it future job experience :)
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 3:20 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• The computer is neither good nor bad - it's the content that makes it so.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 5:45 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• My three year old plays on the computer and he loves it! Of course I am with him and we go on the educational websites like sesame street. He has learned a lot from the computer and catches on quickly.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 6:55 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I think its good for a child to be able to use a computer. At my daughter's school they go to the computer lab once or twice a week depending on what they are learning about. She knows how to start a computer, how to type in a website, Webkinz,Nickjr, She will ask if she can email people mainly her aunts,uncles and grandparents, she can send pictures, write fun stories with Microsoft 2007 she can insert the pictures and all that and sometimes she will print them out or just copy them and email it to whoever she wants to. She learned how to use the latest edition of Microsoft faster than I did.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 7:58 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• My boys play educational games on the computer but we set time restrictions and if they misbehave they lose their computer and television privileges. You're the parent, you make the rules. If all he wants to do is play on the computer, then turn it off and tell him to go outside and play or read a book or do something else. That's what we do in our house.It's not about the computer, it's about rules and boundaries. Our kids have to ASK permission to play on the computer or watch tv and most of the time we say no, but we do say yes sometimes and that time is precious to them so it helps keep them in line if they know it will get taken away if they are disobedient. They mostly use the computer for educational stuff ( we homeschool) but they do have a few fun games and sites they go to ( safe sites, like Lego and webkinz) As far as tv, they mostly watch DVD's because we don't have cable, too much garbage on there.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:12 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• My son is 3 and plays on Playhouse Disney and PBS websites only. It's all he knows and he loves it! He plays the learning games and watches videos. He knows how to maneuver around the site pages. I think your son would be fine sticking to age-appropriate sites and computer games you buy.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 8:33 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Try starfall.com and spellingcity.com--both are educational, yet fun.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 8:51 AM on Mar. 7, 2009