Is anyone else up with a sick kid?

My daughter won't stop coughing. I have given her all the meds the dr. prescribed, have the humidifier going full blast, have a Vicks vaporizer going full blast, took her into a steamy shower, propped her up on pillows, and sang numerous lullabies.

And she's still coughing. I really don't know what else to do. No fever, no anything except a dry hacking cough.

sariejack

Asked by sariejack at 2:56 AM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes, my daughters are sick too!! My five year has phnemonia.. and my 18 month old has a terrible cough, and every time she gets coughing real bad she throws up everything in her stomach.. and she won't take her medicine without world war 3!! I'm going to crazy with it.. i hate that i can't make her better, and she doesn't understand that the medicine helps her.. every time she sees me coming at her she starts fighting me just assuming i'm giving her medicine.. i've tried EVERY way to give it to her too.. she's fights so bad.. :( it makes me sad.. i might cry..
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 3:23 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• have you gave her any motrin?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Water. Have it ready for her to take small sips. I cough all the time when I lie down and water is the only thing that helps me.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 2:58 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I just gave ibuprofen, and she has a little sippy cup of water with her.

I am so fricking tired.
    sariejack

Answer by sariejack at 3:00 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• awww I hope she feels better soon!!
    pinkanfgrl

Answer by pinkanfgrl at 3:02 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• All 3 of my girls have been sick for 6 days. All of a sudden my youngest is broken out in what appears to be chicken pox all over her abdomen, arms, and legs. Of course it's the one shot I declined. Ugh, LOL, so yeah, I'm here with ya mama.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 3:08 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Yeah, this has been going on for over a week, when will it end? I am right there with ya, munch12502.

The coughs are getting fewer...maybe I can actually squeeze in a few hours of sleep.
    sariejack

Answer by sariejack at 3:11 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Hi MJ--I know how you are feeling...so frustrated and lost. I have taken my daughter to the pediatrician twice in a week and I get told the same thing...it's a virus, nothing we can do, wait it out. Well, they aren't up with her all night every night for a week.

Finally got him to prescribe a cough syrup because she was coughing so hard she would choke, but other than that, I have nothing but home remedies.

If you can take some time with your little one and just chill together it might make you both feel better. Just hold each other while you watch TV. My daughter used to do the same thing to me when she had ear infections and I had to give her drops.

Her coughing is winding down so I am going to sign off and try and sleep...
    sariejack

Answer by sariejack at 3:29 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• oh I know what you mean.. tonight is the first night she is sleeping.. good in about a week. Her meds finally are starting to work..

it didn't help that I was sick too. It was a horrible week..

try the vicks on the feet and wrap them.. that seemed to work best for my DD.

for the medicine.. I called my doctor and asked if I could mix it with food and bottles, and they said yes, that it was better for the medication she was prescribed because it's suppose to be taken with food anyways.. that's the only way I could get her to take it.. so in the morning I put it in her cereal.. and at night I gave her a bottle of juice with the medicine in it (measured out right obviously, lol).. but call your doctor first about this. .DD's on predizone (i think that's right, it's downstairs and I don't want to double check on the correct name or spellling)..
    pm me if you wish.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:35 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• not up with a sick kid..im up due to a whiny puppy i just got yesterday!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 4:12 AM on Mar. 7, 2009