my 4 month old wont drink pedialyte - she gags and spits it all out - but has diareaha for the past 3 days - any suggestions?

karen421

Asked by karen421 at 5:49 AM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Health

• have you tried adding water to it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:02 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Try Gatorade or that stuff called smart water. My DD never would touch pedialite ever either. Good luck!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 7:07 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• at such a young age, I woulld just keep nursing...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• try the pedia-pops....it's messy but my son liked sucking on those when he was that young.
    trentntats

Answer by trentntats at 8:18 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I'd call the dr

Answer by admckenzie at 9:38 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Aren't they supposed to be a year old before you try pedialyte!? Call the doc!
    ddmac314

Answer by ddmac314 at 9:51 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I never gave my son pedialyte until just recently he's 17months old now. Anywho when he was a tiny lil guy i just gave him water to help hydrate him sometimes he wouldn't take the water didnt like the taste still doesn't I'd add a lil bit of his formula to it just to give it a taste then he would drink it up and stay hydrated w/o having had too much milk to keep the poo going..
    o0gone0o

Answer by o0gone0o at 10:31 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Pedialyte is fine for them. I had to give it to my DD at 1 1/2 months due to rotovirus. Are you giving the plain (unflavored) or something like cherry? My DD would only take the unflavored because the other tastes so strange to them.

Ddmac--It's Pediasure (the milk stuff) that they can't have until one year.
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 10:33 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• when my dd was a baby the dr said to put the unflavored in her bottle
    sweetpeatexas21

Answer by sweetpeatexas21 at 10:41 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• After 3 days I would definitely give the pediatrician a call.

At that age I used the unflavored pedialyte. My babies wouldn't drink it either. We ended up putting it in a big syringe and just squirting a very small amount in the baby's mouth every few minutes (the equivalent of "sipping" slowly, which is what our pediatrician recommended). Our pediatrician also said we should keep giving the babies formula or nursing (we were doing both).
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:43 AM on Mar. 7, 2009