How do I get a 4 month old to sleep on his own and in his crib?

He will sleep 5 to 8 hours a night as long as he is in my arms or beside me. As soon as I put him down he wakes up and cries. He got spoiled when he was a week old when his doc. sent us back to hospital for being dehydrated for 3 days. I was so scared that I held him the whole time.

LaytonMom

Asked by LaytonMom at 10:20 AM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You may want to pre-warm his bed with a heating pad, that you remove before putting him in. Always check that the bed isn't too warm. Then lay him in the bed and pet him until he falls asleep. At 4 months, though. maybe another month or two of sleeping with you would work. Maybe you could try getting him to sleep on his own during the day, or the night, and the other times let him sleep with you.

Answer by Bmat at 10:28 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• try having some play time in his crib during the day, so that he associates it with good times. then when he wakes up in there, he won't be too scared
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:49 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• My dd is almost six months now and sleeps with me most nights, but the nights I want her to sleep in the crib, I wait till she's starting to get tired then I get her really full by feeding her baby cereal mixed with peaches (that's her favorite) then I make sure she has a clean diper, wrap her in her favorite blanket and nurse her, I burp her and lay her in the crib, I stay in there and talk to her or sing to her for a while so she won't be scared when I leave, then I leave the room, and wait for her to fall asleep before going to bed (her crib is in our room, and if she nows we're in there she won't sleep in the crib)
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 11:43 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I hope that something of that helped... Good luck!
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 11:45 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• He's NOT spoiled. Holding a baby is NEVER spoiling him. And he'd be doing this regardless of the hospital stay because it's how babies are programmed; to be next to mom.

Most sleep training advocates say you can't use their programs before six months. But try swaddling. Don't expect eight hours straight...he's still too young to expect it. Although it MIGHT happen.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:07 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I was having the same problem with my LO and not getting any sleep! What I did was put a pillowcase from my bed into the bottem of his crib so that it would smell like me. You can use anything, a shirt, sheet whatever just put at the bottom so baby soesn't suffocate. After this he has been slepping all night(10 hrs.) in his crib.
    picot08

Answer by picot08 at 2:27 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• wow.... it's not even possible to spoil a 1 week old? are you serious???? and getting a 4 month old to sleep on their own is a very high expectation. How would you like to be nestled in the womb for 9 months and then be expected to sleep alone on your own like an adult. That's Ludicrous. The baby needs the human touch, think how frightening it must be for a little baby, not knowing why his mommy isn't there to comfort him.
    Anonymous