Is is ok to nurse/pump in front of older children?

I am relactation and reteaching my 9 month old to nurse for health reasons. Is it ok to do this in front of my 7 year old son and 6 year old daughter. I nursed around them when she was younger but is it ok now that is not so descrete? They are very curious about the pumping also. I can't send all my time in the back room and it is necessary to pump every 2 hours!! Just wondering other moms opinions.

Jenn0302

Asked by Jenn0302 at 10:44 AM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think thats a personal decision. I dont think there is anything wrong with it. I myself, would use it as a teaching opportunity. Its a very natural thing and nothing to be ashamed of.

This country is sooo backwards b/c when I walk down my mall, there is a 10 ft tall poster of Giselle in panties and a bra and no one thinks twice. But to breastfeed is shamefull. Backwards.

I am not speaking about you, I am talking about general views of Americans. ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:48 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Your call, your kids. In Italy its so commonplace. But again it is your decision.
    jareda69

Answer by jareda69 at 10:48 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I never hid it from my kids. After awhile they didn't even notice.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:52 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Doing it in front of YOUR kids is your choice. If I'm visiting with my kids, I'd rather you didn't in front of them. Not that YOU would have to go to another room, but let me know you needed to pump and I would take the boys to another room to play for a bit. No biggy.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:54 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I think it would be fine, its not like they haven't seen it before and if they are curious you, their mother, should be the one teaching them about babies and what mommies do. You shouldn't have to hide in your own home to breastfeed your baby. But if you don't feel comfortable then put a blanket over yourself so they can't see everything.

charrenee

Answer by charrenee at 10:57 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I don't mind nursing my dd I front of other people, but I prefere to pump in private. It's really up to you and what you feel comfortable with.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• this will sound stupid and im not being rude im actually curious... how long has it been since you dried up that you are relactating?? I didnt BF at all but i was actually giving it some thought but my dd is 7 mos is that posisble?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• My nieces will be in the room when I nurse, but when I'm starting (you know, the immodest part) I tell them to take a couple steps back. It's one thing if they're in the same room, but they don't need to be right up in my grill. haha.

Whatever you and your children are comfortable with go for it!!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:52 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Do what YOU are comfortable with. There's no wrong answer.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:55 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Nope, I say it's appropriate at any time and any place. I mean don't you eat in front of anyone? Why shouldn't a baby that's eating the way God intended it to eat.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 7, 2009