does anyone have any ideas????

I finally got tired of my daughter cleaning her room (she is 12) and it still looking like crap cause it is a really small room. Not only is the room small but she is a pack rat, and i mean bad. So bad i spent 6 hours cleaning and throwing stuff away. She keeps everything. I got her a big life size bratz doll ( her room is done in bratzs) and she took the doll out but kept the box. Why? Does anyone have any ideas om what i can do? I gotta figure out something before i pull my hair out any suggestions would be great

momoftwogirls

Asked by momoftwogirls at 10:51 AM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• i would have her keep only the thigns that she plays with at her age.. My daughter is the same way with being the pack rat kinda gal. I helped her clean her room recently and told her that alot of the things she has you haev outgrown and dont play with anymore. The thigns that were still in pretty decent shape we donated or yard saled. That could be a good suggestion for her
    booboo32

Answer by booboo32 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• You have to understand the concept behind being a pack rat and the importance ppl attach to each item they have. It's normally to fill in what's missing in personal relationships. Life size Bratz doll in a room that is already cluttered? yeah that was clever. You are adding to the clutter but at least you gave her a new best friend. Quit buying her more new things if you are just going to complain about it. Plus, boxes have significance to a pack rat. Try researching it and stop complaining about her. Help her, don't bash her. It's an illness.
    Anonymous

• we have a few clutter rules in our house- I'll just share a couple and hope that gives you some ideas.1)if you haven't used it in a year it's good will. 2)if you haven't worn it in 6 months or it doesn't fit, it's gone. 3)if you want to buy something new, get rid of two somethings that are old (applies to toys as well). don't do theme bedding or wall hangings because the kids out grow their tastes so quickly. if you have to put up shelves to store anything beyond books/school/art supplies refer to rules 1-3. it's hard to keep clutter at a minimum, and sometimes you have to retrain bad habits, as much your own as the kids. ultimately you're the one responsible for the mess, and holding others responsible as well... the trick is not just hauling out, but preventing MORE stuff from coming in. Good Luck! BTW I USED TO BE A PACK RAT- now I'm a minimalist, it's just a force of habit, create new ones. that's all.. :)

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• well I think it would be better if you told her that if she want you to by her something she needs to throw away her trash a nice shelf or cabnet would be great to put dirctions an manuels in
    supermomrocks

Answer by supermomrocks at 6:18 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• People who "horde" are usually very creative. Maybe she kept the box because she saw possibilites other than it just being a box. I had 2 standards of clean, their clean and my clean. As long as it was within a tolerance of clean, I was ok, but there were times that I needed it to be "my clean" and my sons knew what that meant. I had to train them to clean. We, as adults, forget that kids see the world differently than us. Just because she may be smart and interesting does not mean she inherently knows what "clean" should be. Help her sift through her treasures, sort and organize them so she knows what she has and why.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• i think all 9 yr old girls like (stuff)my daughter does also.everyonce in a while we will go threw it.i have bought her boxes and bins to put her do call stuff in.but that just leads to more stuff.ive had three girls and they have all liked there stuff. just go through it once in a while....
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• ive all ways dune a pre xmas sort out couse father christmas dont come if the bedroom isnt tiydy and if you have any broken toys
    Anonymous