Is there anyon out there can can give me some advice on getting a hysterectomy. I have to have one on the 20th.

Hi. My name is Melissa. I just found out a few days ago that I have to have a hysterectomy. I s there anyone out there that has been through this that can give me some advice. I am really scared and nervous.

melissa157

Asked by melissa157 at 11:37 AM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Health

• You'll be fine. A friend had told me to allow a full six weeks for recovery, and I did. Pamper yourself. It was a jolt to me to realize that it meant no more babies. My family was complete, but I hadn't really realized how permanent until afterwards. My doctor, or your doctor, should make that clear. It shouldn't be necessary to tell us, and it was silly of me not to comprehend it emotionally, even though I knew it in my mind. But it also means no more periods, which is a plus.
    Any surgery makes us nervous, it's perfectly all right. When you go in for your surgery tell you medical people about this feeling so that they can offer comfort and guidance. I am convinced that you will come through this very well. Good luck, and ((hugs.))

Answer by Bmat at 11:46 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I don't really have any advice for you, I just wanted to say good luck. My mom had a hysterectomy about 12 years ago and she came through it just fine. You'll be okay. Just take it easy and let other people help you as much as possible. Take advantage of it!
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:58 AM on Mar. 7, 2009