• In the Spotlight:

If you are an esoly offended Christian don't read this on...

I just finished reading the answers to the question about the accuracy of the bible. Many of you believe it is 100% accurate. Which is imposible. The bible itself contradicts itself more than once. How do you explain that and how do you justify it to yourself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree that you can't use logic to make biblical arguments. The ones who feel strongest that every word in the bible is factual are the ones that fight most with others who believe that too. It is just that not everyone interprets what it says in the same way! You can find people using quotes to mean one thing and someone else using the same quote to mean something else!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 12:15 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Uh-oh, you've probably opened up a can of worms with this one OP! It's an excellent question but you're probably in for some preaching... either that or all the answers will consist of some variation of "because god says so".
    Anonymous

• For once I have to agree with Anon... lol! Watch out with thie one...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Hey, they can justify it to themselves but there is not actually a real justifying arguement. Trying to claim the Bible is accurate 100% of the time is not logical. IMO you have to be gullible to believe it is 100% accurate.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 12:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Although while I'm here I have to agree... There are a great number of scriptures that say the opposite of others... For instance:
    1.Who incited David to count the fighting men of Israel?
    (a) God did (2 Samuel 24: 1)
    (b) Satan did (I Chronicles 2 1:1)

2.How old was Jehoiachin when he became king of Jerusalem?
    (a) Eighteen (2 Kings 24:8)
    (b) Eight (2 Chronicles 36:9)

3.Did Joshua and the Israelites capture Jerusalem?
    (a) Yes (Joshua 10:23, 40)
    (b) No (Joshua 15:63)

4.Jesus descended from which son of David?
    (a) Solomon (Matthew 1:6)
    (b) Nathan (Luke3: 31)

While all of these can be chalked up to simple mistakes it makes one wonder how many other "mistakes" could the bible contain? And what are they. If one writer says God does something and another says it's the devil... That's a HUGE difference and could make huge differences in meanings of things that are only written about o

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:32 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Meh. Good question. Too bad nobody can answer it perfectly =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:35 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Well said SabrinaMBowen
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 12:37 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Thanks... I try!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• OMIGOSH I WANTED TO ASK THAT QUESTION!!! I THINK RELIGION IS MORE LIKE TRADITION...WHO SAID CHRISTMAS AND EASTER SHOULD BE THE DAYS THEY ARE ON?.....WAS EVE REALLY THE FIRST WOMAN....HOW DO WE KNOW THAT EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENED IN THE OLD TESTAMENT IS CLEARLY ACCURATE....THEY TEACH OUR KIDS IN SCHOOL THAT ADAM EVE WAS CLEARLY NOT THE FIRST PEOPLE ON EARTH...IS THE BIBLE JUST A FAIRYTALE BOOK...WHO KNOWS IF THERE IS REALLY A HEAVEN OR HELL...HAS ANYONE CAME BACK AS A WITNESS TO TELL THAT....YES I KNOW SOME OF YOU IS GOING TO SAY ITS ALL ABOUT FAITH
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 12:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I totally agree diamondmamma.
    A lot of religion IS focused around tradition. And there are many people that don't challenge ideas (religious or cultural) simply because it is in their family traditions. It is very unaccepted to question religion/ traditional values and it leads to narrow mindedness.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 12:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2009