Is Having a Second Baby Shower Rude?

IMO it is very rude to have two baby showers. The purpose of a baby shower is to celebrate the beginnings of your family not so you can clean up and get everything you need to raise your child. If you plan on having more then one child when you start having kids why not just get gender neutral things? And why would you give away your baby things if there was a possibility you could have more? I've heard so many women say "Well I had to have a second because I had all girl stuff and now I'm having a boy" or "Well I had to have another because I gave the crib and the changing table and etc. away to the neighbor". You also aren't supposed to throw your own baby shower, a friend should want to have it for you. I guess all of these rules are just to antiquated (sp?) for this day and age.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I am one that thinks having a second baby shower is rude, especially if your children are near the same age and are the same sex. Even if not the same sex I find it unnecessary to have two.

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 12:33 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I think it's ok to anther one if it's 5 years or more. Sometimes folks don't plan on having another child or protection doesn't work.

Anonymous

• My mother threw one for my first child and one just recently for the second one in my belly too. We didn't really need anything for the new baby, but my family wanted to celebrate so we did. It was fun, I love parties and baby showers and all that good stuff. Just another reason to get everyone together for a fun event!
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 12:19 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I don't think anyone should expect a buttload of presents from everyone. For some people, it's the only way they could even get a crib or whatever, they don't think about how expensive having a baby really is. And IMO baby showers are really boring, and the games are hella lame. LOL.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:21 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• having a baby shower doesnt neccesarily mean you have to get presents. it is a celebration of new life, and a chance to be with friends who love you. plus its not always possible to hang onto baby things for years. it all depends on your view ( and your storage space)
    MommaGoose2

Answer by MommaGoose2 at 12:24 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I don't think its rude to have another one for a 2nd kid, but I do think its rude to have more than 1, unless 1 is friends and 1 is family, for just one baby. I did buy neutral gender stuff, but if I have a boy next I'd like to get boy clothes and diapers. I'm kind of pissed off b/c I'm throwing my friend a baby shower in 2 weeks and after I sent out the invitations, she told me she's have 4 showers! So, needless to say, I'm not going all out...
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 12:24 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• We had one for my first, then the second which came five years later didn't get one but my third which was six years after the second we had one, and it was because I had given everything away, but also so we could all get together and pig out. That was the main thing eating, we all got together and snacked, I didn't even open my presents til after everyone left. Isn't that funny?
    ednakrabapple

Answer by ednakrabapple at 12:27 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Maybe rude if you plan them yourself and expect everyone to bring a ton of presents. But if your friends and family are throwing you a shower I don't see how that can be considered rude, especially if you weren't involved in the planning. I am pregnant with my third. My first two are boys, they are 1 and 2. My mom has made comments here and there that if this one is a girl she may have a shower which would be great since I don't have any girl clothes and we can always use diapers. I see baby showers as friends and family caring about you and just wanting to help out. I didn't have one with my second but we still got so many presents just because our friends care that it pretty much added up to what we got at our shower for our first.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 12:32 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I think that every child deserves to be celebrated! And we're having a baby shower for each child we ever have, AND a Welcome to the Family party. Those welcoming parties will be thrown by us, and I don't think it's too rude to throw the party yourself. If you do, you don't have to call it a baby shower. Call it an expecting party or something. But every baby deserves its own. It's not just about the gifts, it's about celebrating the newest and most important changes that occur in a person's and a family's life.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I do not think you should expect anything at any baby shower. I think it is a celebration of new life. Each child deserves to be celebrated
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 12:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2009