Is spanking an outdated practice, or do some moms still firmly believe in it?

I grew up in a rather religious household that preached the importance of being respectful of your parents and neighbors and was spanked for disobedience. I spank my children only for willful disobedience and have found this method to be effective. Do others have similar practices of corporal punishment or is that never used at all?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• we do
    Anonymous

• I do
    Anonymous

• I believe in spanking ...but 9-12 is getting a litlte old. I think i got my last spanking when i was 10. ...I probably wont spank my DS past the age of 8 or 9. but that's just MO.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:52 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• i believe in it
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:53 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• A child learns respect in many other ways. Spanking is a traditional method of punishment that should be outdated but it is not because it is hard find other ways to teach your child.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 1:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• We only spank after as a last resort. If I just cannot get him to listen to me and I have tried everything else. He is 7, and I haven't actually spanked him in probably 8-9 months. My daughter has never been spanked., she is 13 months
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:17 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I will spank, but for now we are only popping her hands. My LO has recently learned that it is funny to grab mommy's face and won't let go and when she does she laughs. I popped her hand and she is learning that it is not okay. Spanking isn't outdated and neither is any kind of discipline. Look at the world around us. Most of the trouble makers these days weren't taught proper respect for adults are others around them. Most of them weren't disciplined as children either. Think about it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:51 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• We spanked, but generaly not after the age of about 6. There are more creative ways now that they are older and can think beyond 'instant-now' and are bettter at forming 'cause-effect' relationships.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 8:55 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• 9 - 12 yr olds are far too old to be spanked. If you can't think of a reasonable punishment for a child that age other than hitting, then you have poor parenting skills. It is a bully mentality and it teaches them just that, to hit and be a bully to someone smaller than them. You should be ashamed of yourself (anyone who hits a child). Use your brain not your hands/belt/switch.
    Anonymous

• i hope that we will not have to spank our kids when they get to be 9-12. our 8.5 yr. old step daughter hasn't been spanked in forever. and my almost 5 yr old step son still gets spanked more regularly, but i think that by the time he gets that old there will be other more effective forms of punishment.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 7, 2009