do you think people can really change?

My bf used to be a complete jerk. I broke it off with him and I guess he realized how much he loves me and he changed completely. Now he is an amazing boyfriend and father. But I'm scared that he can get worse just as fast as he got better. Should I just chill out and see what happens or should I still keep my guard up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Relationships

• love finds a way.
    SOME people change.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• That depends on how long it has been and various other factors. I would say it is probably OK to slowly start easing your guard down and take it a step at a time.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 1:05 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Keep your guard up for a while.
    Danishlady

Answer by Danishlady at 1:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I would keep your gaurd up but he might have learned his lesson!! you can keep your gaurd up and still have a loving relationship
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 1:43 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Yes, people can change. They can change to be worse, or to be better. But to change to be better takes much more work then most want to do. It's hard, and easy to give up. Some people stick with it, and end up better people. It's possible that he really did learn his lesson, and will stay being a better person. But I'd still keep my guard up. Now, you also need to encourage him now, so that he doesn't think he did it all for nothing. If he thinks that you don't notice he's changed, he'll think he can regress back into what he was before.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Buffie95: Thanks for the great advise. I didn't ask the question but needed to hear the advise just the same.
    Anonymous

• I say give it a little time, but if he does start acting like a jerk again make it clear to him that you don't need his BS, if he's really changed then more power to him, either way I wish you both luck :)
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 4:07 PM on Mar. 7, 2009