Teeth marks on tongue

Lately I have been under a lot of stress and I notice that when I wake up, I have teeth marks on my tongue from biting it when I sleep. It's very painful and the marks don't go away. Has anyone done this? What can be done to fix it? Other than less stress, of course.

sariejack

Asked by sariejack at 1:47 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would look into an occlusal gaurd, what they call a "Night Gaurd". It's for biting and clenching during sleep but should resolve the tongue biting issue as well. Your dentist can make it for you but, I'm a Dental Assistant and I have found even the over the counter ones to be effective.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 4:02 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I grind my teeth at night. Of course from stress. I find that putting my tongue between my teeth stops it for a while. I have never heard of anyone biting their tongue. A dentist once told me about a Bite Plate. I never did get one. I guess it goes over the teeth to prevent wear from grinding. I would imagine it would help with your teeth cutting into your tongue so much. Maybe your dentist could tell you something.
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 1:59 PM on Mar. 7, 2009