Breastfeeding Question

I have been breatfeeding my daughter since she was born. I did give her a bottle with formula every so often too, so now she will take a bottle without a problem. She is 8 months old now. She eats baby food also and she loves it. I dont know when I should wean her off of breast feeding. Any ideas? I am a first time mom and could use the help.

Thanks!

AudreysMommy798

Asked by AudreysMommy798 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should wean the baby when you feel that you and baby are done breast feeding. Don't do it sooner than the 2 of you are ready. I stopped pumping at 7 mos--dd didn't latch at all--I kind of regret it. Go as long as you want but I do think it is strange to see a mom nursing an older--I mean older than 2--in public.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:07 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• about 12 mnths is when they start to drink whole milk, so then.. no more than 12 mnths
    Anonymous

• i'm shooting for 18 months myself, i heard that was best from my la leche group.
    collinsmomma656

Answer by collinsmomma656 at 2:02 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• There is no "right" age. The AAP recommends at least 12 months, and longer than that if mom wants. The WHO recommends at least 2 years. If you are okay with sticking it out for the long haul, she'll eventually self-wean all on her own when she's old enough and ready. That's really the best scenario for baby. But you are the one who gets to make the decision. I was shooting for 2 years, but had health issues and had to wean at 15 months.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 2:27 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Have her self wean and drop the formula because it is substandard nutrition compared to what you are giving her on a regular basis. Definitely do not wean off of breastmilk before the one year mark because then she has to have formula until that point, no need to deny her the best when you are doing so good giving her what she truly needs.

Anonymous

• The AAP says a minimum of 12 months of breastfeeding, the World Health Organization says at least 2 years.
    At this point, I say why start buying formula and fixing bottles? Just stick it out a few more months! By the time my kids were a year old they were eating lots of solids and were only nursing a couple of times a day. I never would have guessed this when at 9 months they were still nursing at least 8 times a day, including during the night. They change a lot really fast. If you just follow baby's lead she will start to wean from the breast on her own.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:02 PM on Mar. 7, 2009