I just read in the paper that Multiviatims for pregant woman are putting babies at risk because they don't have the recommend 220-290 micrograms of iodine a day. I never heard of this it said it can cause mental retardation, speech problems

anyone know of this & what foods have iodine in them ? I will google it myself

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Did they say Multivitamins or Prenatal vitamins? I really am not sure of this one. Never heard that for taking a vitamin.
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 2:27 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I hadn't seen that. But don't we get iodine from other sources, like salt? And is it bad to get too much iondine? I don't know enough about this, I guess....
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 2:40 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• As long as you are eating well and taking care of your body and the baby inside, this isn't an issue. Multivitamins are only meant to supplement the vitamins and minerals that you are lacking in your diet. As long as you are eating nutritious foods, prentatal vitamins aren't really necessary (though most pregnant women in our society should probably be taking them).
    flower_momma

Answer by flower_momma at 2:50 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Oh, strawberries and shrimp have high amounts of iodine. Eggs, kelp, milk and yogurt also contain iodine. The only reason that I know that is because I am allergic to iodine in high amounts and will break out in hives if I eat too many strawberries :(
    flower_momma

Answer by flower_momma at 2:51 PM on Mar. 7, 2009