Unemployment and subbing

I read a question along these lines. What I was wondering is how does work affect unemployment. I know they take out money from your unemployment check if you have income, but do you ever lose it? I would like to substitute teach, I have a BSW, but it is only for the school year and not full time so I dont want to lose unemployment and be screwed during the summer and when I dont work. There are no jobs here...

jajumommy2000

Asked by jajumommy2000 at 3:07 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• You have to report any work you have done when doing your weekly or bi weekly and they will take it out or you can lose it.

Anonymous

• They have a spot that you record any income. So if you work say 1 day they will then calcuate what you are owed for the remaining portion of the week. Depending on how much you bring home with unemployment is what determines the cut off of income you can make in a given week.

partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 5:08 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Check with your state's department of labor for applicable rules. Here in NY, you can work less than 4 days, and earn less than $405 and still get some benefit. But, you still do need to be looking for work. Benefits don't last forever. Getting your name out there by subbing gets your foot in the door if you want full-time teaching work down the road.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:37 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Thanks. No I dont want teaching, my degree is in social work. I know I have to report any income, I was just wondering if I would lose it and then be screwed over the summer when school is out, KWIM...
    jajumommy2000

Answer by jajumommy2000 at 7:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2009