Is it better to do squats with your legs apart or close together?

Which one is more effective on your butt and legs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Make sure you don't come down lower than the knees bent at ninety degrees - a right angle- more than that is harmful to the knees. I don't know for sure, but I am guessing that the knee forward bend is better for the back end. both are good for the legs.The squat with toes pointed outward and legs apart is better for the inner thigh. So I'd say do both.

Answer by Bmat at 3:16 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Are you talking about lunges Bmat? Like stepping foward with one leg behind you and one leg bent in front?
    Anonymous

• legs should be as wide apart as your shoulders (if that makes sense)

Answer by admckenzie at 4:46 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• BOTH - I'm a personal trainer - and the width of your legs makes a difference in which parts of the muscle you use - sure you're using your thighs in a squat (as well as teh core and lower back) but with the thighs wider you're using more of your abductors (inner thigh) and the closer together works the adductors (outter thigh)
    KickButtMama

Answer by KickButtMama at 7:19 PM on Mar. 8, 2009