What do you do when you're ready to sell baby items/kids things? (ebay, craigslist, garage sales, what?)

I'm finally ready to sell all of my baby items, but don't know how to go about it. I really hate doing garage sales, but I've never sold anything online before. Just wondering what you do and if you have been successful at it. TIA

liltymesmom

Asked by liltymesmom at 3:13 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Shopping

• well ebay has fees, craigslist is free face to face in a public place and someone with and cash only. Garage sale at your home cash only.

Anonymous

• Craigslist is what I use, but I always have to revolve around my husband's schedule, since he's worried about running into weirdos and I don't blame him. I do a yard sale maybe once a year with my mom too when she does hers, that way we both have stuff to add in and we're not standing outside all day with one table worth of stuff

Don't expect to get a lot of money anywhere though. Used children's stuff goes super-cheap. I pretty much just sell whatever I can't give away, but give away most of what I can since that way I know it goes to someone who needs it.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 3:33 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I've been selling on Ebay for 9 years (professionally and getting rid of personal stuff). When trying to decide what to sell and where I divide things into:

DONATE-if in good condition, but may not be sell for much. Such as well used clothing that is still in good condition (no stains, no wear and tear marks, odd colors/patterns/designs).

YARD SALE-if in very good to excellent condition, but may be too bulky to break down or too heavy to ship. Such as kids sandboxes, wading pools, electric cars, wagons, doll and play houses.

EBAY-if in excellent to like new condition (because buyers are pretty obnoxious if it's not perfect!) , and small/light enough to ship, and not easily breakable. Such as nursery bedding and accessories--popular items include discontinued or hard to find patterns and accessories. If you have original boxes or the items still have tags attached you'll get even more for them.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I really like to do craigslist for bigger/nicer items, but I also like to do garage sales because it's a good way to get rid of a lot of things at once and also smaller things that wouldn't be practical to sell individually online, but can still add up. I definitely try to sell nicer things on craigslist first because I am way more likely to get the amount that I want for it.
    Anonymous

• I have done ebay in the past, but with the shipping and handling and fees, it hardly seems worth it. I have done Craigslist and have been sucessful-I just meet people in a neutral place:)

If I'm lazy I just bring them to a second hand store and they pay me what they want for the clothes.
    Anonymous

• I sale my at a yard sale, even though I do not get half of what I pay for my kids clothes, it makes me feel good knowing that someone less fortunate will get some really nice name brand clothing!

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 5:50 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I normally would just have a yard sale and whatever did not sell, I would give to the Salvation Army, a local church or a homeless shelter.

If you are looking to make some money Ebay is great if you do not mind taking the pictures, downloading, posting the items, keeping track, pay some fees, ship the stuff out, etc
    I think my time is more valuable than the amount of money I would make.

Another option that my daughter has recently told me about is, (depending where you live) you could just google "trade free stuff". There are web sites everywhere that let you trade the stuff you no longer need or want for something that you CAN use. May be worth checking out! Good Luck
    dlb99

Answer by dlb99 at 7:33 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• ebay
    vintagechicken

Answer by vintagechicken at 7:39 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Everything on Craigslist! You'll sell it for 10 times the amount you would get at a yardsale (I mean they're going to offer you a dime for stuff you could get $15 on craigslist) and they are free unlike Ebay and Ebay you have to mess with the shipping and handling and everything. Not worth the time and effort!.. Make sure when you sell stuff to meet people in public I do that and try to meet several people buying stuff at the same time because a lot of the time they just don't bother showing up or calling to cancel and you're stuck waiting on nothing! And everything I can't sell I put in the FREE section on Craigslist and let someone who really needs it have it.
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 7:44 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• first do a garage sale/ lots of work but free and see what you can get for your stuff, there are some things that get a good amount of attention/ lg stuff that you dont want to ship/ whole sets are great for online selling, like i sold my bedding to a woman in a due in group .... on cafemom, they have posts about that. ebay is okay .. fees are realy not that high and it is secure... remember what you cant sell can go to goodwill for tax write offs of the ORGINAL Value of the product! that is cool! btw i am searching for boyish nursury decorations in a sky theme... got any?
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:20 PM on Mar. 8, 2009