For those who spank, how hard do you swat your child?

I give my child two warnings before I give a spanking. I have to follow through with a spanking very rarely. I give a couple mild swats on her bottom and nothing more. I've heard some argue that a spanking needs to really sting in order to be memorable and teach a lesson. Do you think that's true, or should it be more an attention getter than an actual punishment?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• I honestly think it depends. There have been times when i've given my son a spanking and he looked at me and laughed. So then i pulled his pants down and really swated his butt! ...but he stopped doing that really fast. Now it seems like just knowing that he's getting a spanking because he's in trouble is worse then the actual spanking.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:28 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• With mine a light swat will usually do the trick. I have given Anna a stinging one once and I haven't had to do it again. They also get the count down so they have a choice to make, either stop the behavior or get a swat.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• We do the third thing. He gets a warning, gets a time out, then occasionally gets something taken away, then gets the spanking. I only ever give him a swat enough for him to realize that I am serious. Once that I can recall I spanked him to the point that he was hurt, but he was jumping from the wet shower to the wet bath tub edge then doing a spin jump onto the floor, which was also wet. .I was more scared than anything, and I reacted. Mind you he was 7 when this happened.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:54 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Warning and then an attention getter. That's usually enough to do it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:36 PM on Mar. 7, 2009